Experience with Internet Sales Managers

That's a good point. Sometimes too low is too good to be true and maybe he was lowballing. The other dealer I talked to said he can match, just that he wants to see the quote in writing so I will see what happens. I had told him that before this original dealer backed out which I had no clue would happen.

Reply to
Mark W

Well I have to post and say I had a great experience. I ended up buying a 06 Subaru Forester LL Bean Edition. The color is evergreen. I have to say this experience was totally different. Her quote was higher than the original quote that turned out to be a scam. I did give her the email with my original quote from the other dealer. I knew she wouldn't match it but she did lower her price amazingly close. I know you get what you pay for and even as she said, she sees people writing her all the time with all these internet quotes and so many are just too low. Then people end up going in and finding out it's a scam or they add extras onto the car and say they can't take them off and charge a lot extra for those. I do believe this is common. This lady was great though. We arrived and she did have the car up front as she said. We went in to find her and she was very low pressure, actually she was no pressure. She did ask if we wanted to test drive it and put a plate on it. As well, when we got back she went through the car, showing us a lot of the features. Then I went inside to let her know I was interested and talked pricing. She did give me her internet quote but then I gave her the other quote and as well talked about that. She did come back the first time lowering price some but then tacking a D&H cost on. I knew that was another way of adding money but I told her I'd think about it and we took a walk around the building outside to talk about it and came back and told her I can't see paying the 'entire' D&H charge. I kind of opened the for negotiation. That charge was $399 and she agreed they'd split it so we did. Well after all the paperwork we were out of the door. They give you the first oil change for free and as well after i did buy she gave me a tour of the building and then after must have spent an hour going through the car with me, showing me every single feature in it. I am sure the last guy woudl have just gotten me in, signed the papers, and then rushed me out and never showed me a thing. She was so opposite. I have to say anyone that I know that buys a Subaru in the future will be referred to her. If anyone is in the Denver, CO area if you email me I can give you the information. Thanks for all the help on this board with choosing a Forester. Now it's the weekend and I'm going to take pictures of it. I just am amazed at how practical and adaptable it is, especially for it's size. With the large moonroof me and my fiancee joke it's a 'convertible wanabee' and as well we even joked how with the seats down in the back you could almost camp in the back of it and it's a 'rv wannabee'. I like the fact it has that cigarette lighter adaptor in the back as well as the light. With a power inverter you'd have 120v and could almost camp in it :) I know I'd never do that but the thought hit me.

Reply to
Mark W

Glad it turned out all right for you.

Enjoy

Reply to
Bugalugs

I thought the idea behind Internet Quotes was that you already have your homework finished -- that is, you already know what kind of car you want, and now you are just shopping for price.

Before I bought an 06 Forester, I tried many of them at various dealers. After several test drives, I knew exactly what I wanted to buy. Then I went to Edmunds.com and had them contact all my local dealers for quotes and availablility. That's how I thought Internet Quotes was supposed to be: the Internet Manager gives you the best price because he doesn't have to "sell" you the car, you already know what you want to buy. You don't take up a lot of his time, he doesn't get a commission. You're just looking for the best price quote. The price from all the Internet managers I talked to were non-negotiable, and that is what I expected. They give you their bottom-dollar price, then you just take it or leave it.

After Edmunds contacted the local dealers, the dealers' Internet Managers emailed quotes to me. I responded to the ones who gave me the best quotes.

Naturally, I would not buy a car without test-driving it first, but neither would I talk to an Internet Manager without knowing exactly what I want to buy.

They guy you dealt with doesn't sound like any "Internet Manager" I have ever met. (I have met a few.) It sounds like he was just some regular salesman posing as an "Internet Manager."

Reply to
jpd