Explosion and loud noise under hood

Today I drove my 2000 Subaru Outback in hot weather with the A/C on for about 15 minutes. I got back home and pulled into my driveway. I stopped the engine and within a minute, restarted so I could pull the car forward. As I started, I heard a small explosion under my hood and saw a bit of smoke coming out the sides. My engine then started sounding like a truck/tractor. I looked under the hood and I dont see any loose belts, hoses etc. Also, today is Sunday and I cant get it to a mechanic. I tried starting the car after things cooled down a bit and it still sounds the same. As I give it gas, the engine rattling/awful noise just seems to get louder.

Any ideas on what happened?

Reply to
K-dog

I don't, but I'd have it towed. I wouldn't start the engine again.

Reply to
John Rethorst

doesn't sound good. How many miles? has it had the timing belt changed appropriately? don't start it again - get it towed (flatbed please!)

Carl

K-dog wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Water pump or oil pump failed. Don't start it again. Tow it to your Subaru dealer & pray the engine hasn't seized.

Reply to
JJ

Sounds to me like a backfire for some unknown reason. Most likely blew something in the exhuast system . My guess is no harm to engine. But i would have it towed to the shop. Please let us know what they find out. Scott

Reply to
zonie

I called in a tow truck and then did a final check under my hood. I was surprised that I didnt notice a blown out spark plug. My awesome Subaru mechanic (check with me if you're in the sacramento area) helicoiled it and it was fixed for $35 (+ labor). Also, there was a small leak in my water pump which might have been the cause. Its all taken care of and my soobie is back!

Zonie: Thanks for the positive tone. I'm glad my engine was fine.

Reply to
K-dog