Exterior plastic

Maybe a dumb question, but here goes.....In applying the first coat of wax to my new Forester yesterday, it became clear there's a fair amount of plastic trim, e.g., the C-post; at the bottom of the rear window (with "SUBARU" lettering); the exterior mirrors. What, if any, solutions should be applied to these parts? One possible reaction might be, "Just wax'em." But I haven't ordinarily put car wax on my taillights, which would seem like approximately the same material, so why wax these plastic pieces? Well, then, what about an Armorall-like product (one of better quality)? Somehow that doesn't seem right. Or, maybe do nothing? What's your practice on maintaining and preserving these areas of your car? Thanks.

Reply to
H. Whelply

This is a great question. I have wondered the same thing - PLUS - in what ORDER should different materials be applied to the car? If I use some kinda silicone stuff on rubber, tires or black plastic will it strip or spot the polish?(I use NuFinish - great stuff) If I use the other stuff first, will it interfere with application of the polish?(silicones are notoriously difficult to 'strip' or cover with another substance). I'm not really looking for show room surfaces, but if s imple change in procedure will yield beter results I'd like to know.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

H. Whelply wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

There is a product named "Protect-All" that is sold through RV places, that is good for practically all types of surfaces. WalMart also carries it. I have used it exclusively on my motorcycles (Ducatis) for years, and it's an excellent way to keep plastic in good shape and looking good.

Hope this helps!

...Ron

Reply to
Ron Ginter

Wax works just fine on hard plastic like tail lights - as long as you keep it off the softer stuff (black plastic trim, etc.) which it will stain white, you will be fine. For the black plastic (like the unpainted side spoilers on a WRX) I have found that Restore (made by 3M) works well, lasts about a month, and will remove white wax marks. Also works well on tires - gives a nice, dark finish without the cheesy super-shiny wet silicone look which is popular nowadays.

Reply to
David & Caroline

Reply to
null

I asked Meguiars this question a while ago. Here is the answer I got.

"If the cladding on your vehicle is painted, you will use the same products as you used on the paint. If it is not painted, you will use a product called Trim Detailer. Trim Detailer was designed specifically for the black and gray rubber and plastic on the outside of your vehicle."

I have followed this advise with good results.

Tony

Reply to
Orazietti

I use Buffalo Milke instant spray wax on everything. Wax my Forester in less than 30 minutes.

Reply to
Jerre Bassler