Failed head gasket video

decent video (lighting could be better) about coolant-to-oil HG failures. (they guy seems to have several other Soob-related videos)

fyi

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Sorry, that should be cylinder-to-coolant leaks.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

When mine failed at 40K last year all I noted was burnt antifreeze smell and then a small leak. No thermostat problem or heating problem so I guess leak was coolant to outside. Similar symptoms, they replaced the water pump the year before.

My '03 Forester does not get driven that much and I was told at shop that failures normally happen way over 100K.

I was lucky, appealing to Subaru, to get over 1/3 of the cost back.

Sorta hate to think about it, as it could happen again and wife has an '08 Forester. Hope with new engines, this is a problem of the past.

Reply to
Frank

My original gasket failed at about 75,000km and was replaced under warranty. It's gone another 200,000km without an issue since. The way the guy explained it was right on, that was my symptoms also. The thermostat would go to redline briefly, then come back to normal, then go right back up, and come back down. It freaked me out, since I pay attention to all my system warning lights and gauges intently. But I guess I caught it in time.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan