Fed vs. Cal Schedules?

Why is there such a difference in maintenance schedules between California and Federal spec cars? Are Cal cars better? Just wondering..... LT

Reply to
LT

Edward Hayes

It appears that 1998 (my year) is the only goofy year. For 98 the federal spec says replace the timing belt @ 60k, while the Cal spec says 105K. Is this a typo or does the federal car use a cheaper belt? LT

...snip......

Reply to
LT

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:06:23 GMT, "LT" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Common replies are that California law requires 100k mile belt life.

The manufacturers responded by printing a maintenance schedule showing that the belt should be inspected a regular intervals and replacement at +100k miles even though it is the same belt. The dealer will then recommend replacement at 60k miles when it is inspected.

In reality your belt may last 100k miles without needing replacement.

If you gamble, at least know the odds and the payout. Breaking a belt on a non-interference engine usually costs a tow plus replacement. Breaking a belt on an interference engine can be very costly.

If you're doing other work which will make timing belt replacement less expensive before the recommended replacement period has expired, that might be a good bet.

I'm currently running a belt at 135k kms with a normal life of over

160k kms. The replacement recommendation is 100k kms, but 160k kms in California. Since engine is non-interference, I will replace it either when other work needs doing, or at 160k kms as required.
Reply to
Juan Vado