FIGHT eBay's HORRIBLE Price Increases - Meg MUST RESIGN!

If you haven't heard, eBay is increasing prices from 40% to 400%

It no longer makes sense to use eBay to buy or sell items...

This is SAD since it's a system many people enjoy using...

This SCAM by Meg and the EVIL management MUST BE STOPPED.

Here's the problem (Story broke on Jan 12th)

Sign here:

Thanks, and do not list, buy or sell on Feb 18th.

Reply to
Paul McCahan

We've heard. BFD.

Yes it does.

No it's not.

Sellers will just raise their prices to cover the expenses - as sellers have been doing since the dawn on commerce.

I'll buy and sell as I please, ThankYouVeryMuch.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

How do eBay's new prices compare to Yahoo Auctions?

Reply to
Jack Zwick

You have to admit that this is quite a hike in price. In my business, if I hiked prices by this margin, I would have to close my doors.

This will kill buying and selling low cost stuff since it won't be worth selling it on eBay anymore, IMHO. I've bought and sold many things on eBay, btw.

Nicolas

Reply to
Nasht0n

Meh, I find Ebay rather pointless for most stuff anyway. People bid stuff up to at least discount retail and then pay double the shipping costs. Unless its last years stuff, there are few deals to be found on ebay.

Reply to
RS

I have no idea. I've never used Yahoo auctions. Hell, I've never even heard of Yahoo Auctions until just now.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

In rec.video.desktop Nasht0n wrote: : This will kill buying and selling low cost stuff since it won't be worth : selling it on eBay anymore, IMHO.

Well, frankly, if it helps return eBay to its original role as an AUCTION site, that would be good. The gazillions of duplicate listings with buy-it-now trash has made it more and more difficult to search for normal auctions.

Scott

Reply to
sgordon

alt.autos.subaru

When I received the email that they were raising prices I had just been talking to a friend about how great it must be to make millions of dollars without actually selling or shipping anything. Now I have to add to that, it must be beyond great to be able to double your profit by simply saying, today I think I'll double our profit. Click, click. Ok, done. :)

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

Most of things I buy on eBay are with BIN. I don't like waiting around, frantically waiting as the last few minutes tick buy. I'd rather just buy it and get it over with.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Easy. Just click on the 'auction' tab to eliminate BIY if you don't like it.

Reply to
TravelinMan

Do you Yahoo?

Reply to
Edwin

Yahoo won't matter, it's probably cheaper, and soon MUCH cheaper, problem is, if you don't have a market ----- your stuff won't sell.

eBay has you LOCKED in. When you add PayPal into the mix, they make it near impossible to sell on the other Auction sites. That's the PROBLEM.

Join the PROTEST:

Sign the Petition!

Paul McCahan

You might try: ePier

Why jump in the Bay when you can buy items on the Pier.

Craig's list is another idea - but eBay recently bought 25% of them, so they may go under in the same way.

Big websites that don't concentrate on just Auctions aren't going to work. Overstock is trying to do it too, but you need conentration from the buyer and that's not going to happen on those sites.

Use snipping if you don't like bidding at the last minute, it will do it for you.

Paul McCahan

But it's not a PROBLEM! Again, sellers will just raise their prices to cover these small increases. No one cares.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Wrong Mike. Sounds as if you know little about economics.

An item that sells at auction for $10, like a set of 4 Lithium Batteries.

Will still sell after February 18th for $10.

PROBLEM is, the cost to sell those SAME Batteries has been raised by about .62¢!!! Not a nickel or a dime, but a LOT OF FREAKING Money.

The buyer doesn't pay this fee, the SELLER DOES... you can't just raise your price... since PRICE is determined by the Market in and OUT of eBay.

In other words, it will make it less viable to sell your stuff on eBay, thus less choice for buyers... This is a SERIOUS issues for the main reason that eBay is just a website... they don't have any real cost outside of maintaining a very complex server. They are spending money on expensive TV commercials, buying up Rent.com, Craig's List, without our approval, thus driving up OUR fees.

If you sold on eBay you'd be raging mad, if you buy on ebay, it won't become clear that the show is going to get very quiet after Feb 18th.

Lot's of people are leaving.

ebay needs to solve this problem before it's too late.

Reply to
Paul McCahan

From what I've seen on Ebay, this is probably a reaction to sellers listing products at a rediculously low price and making all the profit from the shipping cost. Not unusual to see a buy now price of $1 and $10 in shipping fees, of which Ebay gets nothing.

Reply to
Invid Fan

I just bought a DSS multi switch for $0.01, and $14 shipping.

$14.01 was still deal for me, but eBay gets porked.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

No, the seller will just raise the price to $11. What part of this do you not understand?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

The part you apparently don't understand is that the price is set by the market - not by the seller alone.

Reply to
TravelinMan

Invid Fan ( snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

The new fee structure would make that happen even more often, not less. Any time the eBay fees go up, sellers will raise their shipping costs to compensate. It's the one place you can guarantee a fixed payment (assuming your item sells at all).

Reply to
Jeff Rife