First Oil Change

OK - after all the discussion of early oil changes and break-in oil, I finally performed the first oil change for my 2004 WRX. It was at exactly 3000 miles on the odometer. I even drove a a block to get it up to that magic 3000 number.

I took off the undercover, and managed to break one of the plastic clips when I yanked it out (I think I pulled out the center pin too far - it's supposedly to be out just a little bit). It went back in OK, but I'm going to buy a few extra. I used a 14" T-bar with a 17mm socket to get the bolt off - it seems to be really tight from the factory. I saved about a quarter quart in an empty bottle for analysis. The bolt seems to have been painted on. The crush washer was firmly stuck to the bolt, and I needed a knife to get it off. I set my torque wrench to 33 ft-lbs and tightened it until it clicked.

The oil filter was a big fat pain to get off. I tried a claw wrench, but the 68mm filter was just too small for the wrench to grip. I drove out in another car (with a replacement filter) to find one. I couldn't find a cap wrench that fit - I would have gone to a Subaru dealer, but it's a Sunday. One wrench actually fits a **smaller** filter. Eventually - I got the smallest band wrench (with a swiveling handle) that Lisle makes. It worked - not particularly well though. The filter is surrounded on three sides by exhaust components and the pan on the other. There's virtually no room to work with a filter wrench, and a cap wrench would be perfect. The other thing was that I could only tighten the new filter maybe 3/4 rotation after the gasket made contact. The instructions say a full turn, but I couldn't get it any tighter.

So - now the oil sample it in a cup ready to go to Blackstone Labs. I'll post the results of the oil analysis report when it comes back.

Reply to
y_p_w

Here in the UK, Subaru advise a 1000 mile oil change after what we call the running in period, ie max revs of 5000rpm and then an oil change at 10,000 miles or 12 months. What bugs me is how the advice seems to vary for what is essentially the same product!! I run a 2 litre Forester turbo , it goes like s**t of a chrome shovel , but so does the fuel consumption!!

Reply to
BRITISH BULLDOG

I'm not sure what difference there is. I have been told that European (don't know about the UK) car owners typically don't keep their vehicles as long as in the US (typically over 100K miles). My manager is Italian, and he's told me, "almost nobody would keep a car that long, unless it's some classic or very expensive car". It also seems that the minimum standard for motor oil is higher in Europe. I'm not sure if the higher drain intervals for motor oil is a result of the motor oil or the expected service life of the vehicle.

Reply to
y_p_w

Reply to
Edward Hayes