fixing oil leaks with high mileage oil or additives? also...cracked block?

My 97 Legacy 2.2L engine with just 106,000 miles has developed leaks from the valve cover and pan gasket and perhaps others. had noticed a burning smell for about a year but when smoke came billowing out the other day(after a long highway drive appearenly streaked it back onto the exhaust system) i took it in for a closer look and there are appear to be several oil leaks (although not enough to require topping the oil in 3K-4K oil change intervals). also...there is greenish discharge that was said to be from a cracked block although the exact point of origin was not visible.

the diagnosis to fix all this was well over $1000, or several thousand for a remanufactured engine. from a AAA recommended mechanic I trust, but not necessarily a Subaru expert.

before even considering those options, i was gonna try one of the oil additives said to rejuvenate leaky seals and was wondering if

1) anyone has had any luck with these and 2) if there is any risk to the engine.

i think i might have the PCV valve checked based on an earlier thread.

also was thinking about one of the block sealants for the coolant leak, although the amount so far is so little that the fill jar appears essentially unchanged. the ones you put and leave in risk clogging the heater core, but has anyone tried the ones you put in with water (and the heater core closed off) and drain out after they've done their things? or should i ignore this seemingly trivial seepage?

tia, jim

Reply to
Jim

Jeff Lackey

OK....from your post, sounds like your dealing with a couple of *possible* problems...oil and coolant leakage..

Sounds like it may be a head gasket problem...are you seeing any indication of overheating, consistently or sporadically?

Pull the dipstick and oil fill cap and examine in detail for any "chocalate pudding" indication; that will signify a head gasket problem (mixing of coolant and engine oil)...if you see these indications, you are beyond the "additive-fix" stage..>

PCV is minor cost---better to replace than tinker with; but if oil is burning, PCV is not the issue.

Steve

Reply to
CompUser

I would stay away from the sealants AND your mechanic. Your block is probably not cracked at all, go to a reputable radiator shop for a leaks test. Find a real mechanic to replace the PCV valve, valve cover gaskets, pan gasket (this might be from something else), and on the right side to the rear of the valve cover/head area there is a little cover with two bolts holding it in. Take this out and replace the O ring. All of this is very simple for the do-it-yourselfer if you want to save money and know what you got. Check the timing cover lower edge for signs of oil from behind the cover. The only thing left is a cover accusable only by separating the engine from the trans. If I bought a leaking high mileage Sub I would yank the engine and replace all of these. TG

Reply to
TG

Oil consumption and leakage is normal with age, and car A will age differently from car B. Oil leakage, until it becomes severe, is a simple economic issue. Is it cheaper to just add oil every week (or whenever) or cough up a grand +.

I vote for adding oil. My 91 has 220+ thou, uses a quart every couple thousand. costs less than a buck.

The greenish seepage, though, is different. That's coolant. It's important to find out where it is coming from. And take apprporiate action. It differs from oil loss because is almost always gets much worse very fast--and can leave you in a world of hurt real quick.

Reply to
mac

Actually the oil leakage + usage is less than a quart per oil change interval (3-4K) now. the main issue is the foul smell. i can have the oil cleaned off and see how long it takes the problem to resurface. for about $30-40, i'd do that every few months rather than spend a grand + .

i have a further appt. on the coolant.

thanks

Reply to
Jim