Follow-up on oil filters Impreza/Forester

M.J. wrote

I kinda like bigger filters, more oil = better cooling, >so I ordered a few oversized Hastings LF386. Though I haven't >had a chance to install one yet. I'll comment on my experience with >this filter in the future. > >M.J.

Here it is, my follow-up:

The Hastings LF386 and the Baldwin B161-S oil filters are both oversized filters that meet non-turbo Impreza and Forester specifications (circa 1999-2008), i.e. both are thread size M20 x 1.5, and both have a 20 PSI By-Pass Valve, (plus both have anti-drainback valves so they also meet Legacy requirements for horizontally mounted filters. Impreza and Forester have vertically mounted oil filters and don't require anti-drainback valves).

The problem with both of these filters is that they do not fit well!

The filter base plate (horizontal surface) is slightly concave, more so than the OEM Tokyo-Roki filter, and this results in not being able to screw on well. I was able to make only two full turns while screwing on the filter before it stopped turning. This is unacceptable, and outright dangerous -in case the filter were to get loose it could very easily fall off resulting in a lubricating disaster for the engine.

._SL500_.jpg
As I said earlier, I bought a couple of LF386 Hastings in hope they would fit, but they did not. These are very nice filters and oversized and I was not ready to give up on them and my quest for an oversize filter for my 2000 Impreza 2.2L Coupe.

I found a solution, and I believe I now have the largest oversized filter mounted on any stock Impreza, ever.

The way to mount either one of these oversize filters, i.e. Hasings LF386 or Baldwin B161-S, or the supersized Baldwin B202

to purchase a MagnaFilter magnetic filter and use it as an adapter. The Magnafilter has a long threaded pipe, or boss, and both filters screw on very nicely to the Magnafilter, giving at least four full turns, ...five or more when tightened. This is a perfect solution for someone wanting to install an oversize filter that otherwise does not fit perfectly.

I found the Magnafilter to be a sturdy, confidence inspiring piece of equipment, an Australian made magnetic filter that filters out ferrous debris from the oil and also has a long threaded 'boss' or filter mounting pipe, which solves the concave baseplate problem and allows for easy installation of one of the above mentioned filters.

The filter I ultimately decided to put on my Impreza is the huge Baldwin B202 which is 5 3/8 inches long. Together with the Magnafilter the combo is about 6 3/8 inches long, but still short enough not to protrude lower than the oil pan. The B202 is 3 11/16 inches in diameter and maxes out the Magnafilter diameter, but still fits nicely! (part # 3002015

I believe I now have the largest full-flow oil filter ever mounted on a stock Impreza. The Baldwin B202 holds nearly a quarter of oil, and is really huge.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.