$$ for rebuilt Forester engine???

Wife's car was hit in the front end - some piece of metal disturbed the timing belt, and the result is a fritzed engine.

What will it cost to buy a rebuilt (or even new) engine for that car?

Thanks!

Reply to
OORAH!!

If the valves got bent, have a valve job done to replace bent valves, which is less expensive than replacing the engine. For an engine, search the internet for wrecking yards, Forester uses the same 2.5 engine as Legacy, Outback and Impreza (not WRX!), so there must be a few around. My understanding is 1998 used DOHC engine which is interference (ie bent valves if Timing belt breaks), 99 and above used SOHC engine (no bent valves if belt breaks). Dealer says both are interference engines, Gates timing belt site lists both as non-interference. Ed B.

Reply to
ed

Reply to
Tony Hwang

This is a MY00 - and empirical evidence says it's "interference". The dealer quoted the insurance company more than $3k to rebuild the engine (replace it?). I'm really thinking of buying it out of salvage and keeping the car.

Reply to
OORAH!!

Both incarnations of the 2.5 are "interferencial".

Reply to
Verbs Under My Gel