Forester Climate Control Fix

Check this out:

samiam_68

I congratulate you, however some thoughts to improve on your product.

  1. Get a 12V fan. The 12V fan will take the vehicle's 14.4V charging voltage.

or

  1. Your voltage convertor box/wiring is overkill. You can save on costs by using a awg closer to that of the fan wiring. If you need to step the voltage down to the needed fan voltage, all it would take is an npn transistor, 5.6V zener, and resistor. You can probably get rid of the box and just mount it on the fan.

Best of luck on your endeavor.

Reply to
Xtranet

Can this sensor simply be relocated?

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

I wouldn't try relocating the sensor - it is very delicate. If I move it, it might break, and I'm sure the warranty won't cover that.

As far as voltage, I could not find a 12 V fan that small, only a 5 V. Mounting anything on the fan itself is impossible - it is smaller than a penny in size - hence the box was neccessary.

Reply to
samiam_68

Actually, all it would take is a LM7805

5-volt fixed regulator. The connections could be heat-shrinked up for the smallest, neatest package.

The fan is available from DigiKey for about $20. You should be able to get the regulator for about $2 from the 'Shack.

I would put a piece of loosely woven cloth over the fan as a filter to prevent the usual assortment of dust and stuff from getting into the sensor.

Reply to
Skweezieweezie

Reply to
spider

I agree, however the TO-220 size is significant and the costs are marginally more expensive. Glueing it to the body of the fan (imho) would be better. Either way would be fine and both acheive the same result.

Of course, there are the smt v-reg's, but I guess we're getting off topic.

Reply to
Xtranet

Don't you think this is something that Subaru should fix for everyone??? This along with the rattle in the dash and auto dim mirror that I just hate.

Reply to
Jerre Bassler

It may interest you that my Volvo has a similarly placed sensor and it has a small fan in it like yours does now!

Reply to
DG

Many cars have fans over sensors. This is the RIGHT way to do climate control. Subaru uses some idiotic venturi suction principle, which obviously doesn't work.

Reply to
samiam_68

A warranty isn't of much value when faced with what appears to be a fundamental design error.

Reply to
BBB

Good point, for it the climate control system does not work, there is a malfunction.

I hate to bring it up again, maybe I'll be sorry if mine quits working, but those two features were "on the car" when I bought it and I did not have any option if I wanted that car/color/style. I figured I'd like the climate control, but I hate the darned mirror.

I've learned that the climate control system in my car works just fine, if I can keep my mitts off it until it stabilizes.

I've also learned to my extreme pleasure that the mirror works better than I could have ever imagined! I love it.

I do have that rattle, however, on a certain type of road. Nothing is perfect, I guess.

Reply to
GTT

I tried to email you. but i am having trouble. email keeps bouncing back to me.

I am looking for pricing info,etc.

thanks,

Mike

Reply to