Forester Cold Air Intake -- worth it?

Hi group...

Since I've gotten my '03 NA US model Forester I've felt that it was a bit restricted, breathing-wise. While I was changing my air filter today (what genius designed the air filter box on this engine, anyway?) I thought I'd try de-snorking the intake and see if I could get some feel for whether an after market cold air intake would be worth the investment. I've only driven it around a few miles and other than an increase in engine noise, I haven't discovered anything conclusive. Have any of you tried installing an aftermarket cold air intake kit in a non-turbo Forester with a 2.5l? If so, I've got a couple of questions:

  1. Did you notice any performance improvements? I'm not necessarily looking for dyno numbers here. Seat of the pants results are good enough.

  1. Which kit did you use? Why?

  2. How was your fuel mileage affected?

Advance for any constructive replies.

-- Snuffy --

Reply to
Mike Bender

De-snorking is always a good thing!

Reply to
Candor Feg

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Mike Bender wrote in news:Xns963BCFC3A3FFCsnuffmiesterhotmailc@216.196.97.136:

Since I wasn't seeing much of any kind of a performance increase by removing the snorkus (no objective data -- striclty butt-dyno) I proceded to the next phase of my experiment which was to go open-element on the intake. I accomplished this by removing the back half of the airbox and afixing the air filter by judicious use of the "handman's secret weapon". If I thought the engine was loud with just the snorkus removed -- WOW! I actually kind of like the sound in the midrange but when I wound it out to ~6 grand, I couldn't hear the heavy metal playing on the stereo any more! :) I must admit that I do feel the throttle is a bit more responsive and the engine revs up a little easier, but in all honesty I just don't think the noise level in the cabin is worth it. My feeling at this point is that without some other mods (ECU programming, cam, exhaust etc.) that opeing up the intake just will not get a sufficient performance increase to justify the expense. I realize there would be a slight gain to be had by pulling cooler air from outside the engine compartment, but I don't think a normally aspirated engine will see worthwhile gains. YMMV.

- Snuffy -

Reply to
Mike Bender