Forester Coolant Temp Sensor

My wife's 2001 Forester is suddenly having trouble starting on cold mornings. I suspect it is the coolant temp sensor. I bought a new one for her car but I can not find where it is on the car. Can someone point me in the right place? Thanks. (If you think the trouble could be something other than the sensor-- bring that up too.)

Steve

Reply to
SuperPoo

there's a pic in this thread from a '96 Legacy. The gauge sensor and ECT sensor should be near each other probably under the PCV. I think the 2 wire is the ECT for the ECU to choose a 'rich' map for cold starting.

Is it 'wet' weather related? or dry cold? Wet starting problems could be high voltage parts; wires/coilpack.

When it does start, does it idle well?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

It is a dry cold issue-- it seems to be issue only below 35 degrees or so and only if the car has sat all most of the day. When it does have trouble starting it does idle/run rough for a few minutes.

Steve

Reply to
SuperPoo

I'd say the ECT is a decent possibility then.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan