Forester disc brake retrofit possible?

I have a 2000 Forester L, which came equipped with rear drum brakes. I hate rear drum brakes. I hate working on them and I don't think they are worth squat in braking power. The whole drum setup reminds me of something you'd see on a horse-drawn wagon.

Still, I couldn't justify the added cost for the Forester S with

4-wheel discs so I am now faced with this dilemma...

At 90,000-some miles, my brakes need work. The front brakes are fine having been service regularly. The rear need replaced (shoes and drums probably). How practical/costly would it be to retrofit my Forester with rear disc brakes? I don't need performance/racing parts. Just OEM-grade.

Are the chassis/suspension parts common enough between the S/L to swap out assemblies without having to reengineer the whole undercarriage?

Has anyone done it? Any online resources you could point me to?

I love this car but I hate drum brakes. (Oh, I guess I already said that.)

Thanks.

Greg in Kettering OH

Reply to
Greg Smith

The Forestor I believe and the Impreza use the same platform. WRX or RS brakes should be an easy upgrade. Several years ago I replaced the brakes on my 95 Legacy with larger brakes from a 2002 WRX. I would think you would need everything for the rear swap and maybe the 4WD MC and proportining valve.

Reply to
johninKY

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Reply to
Al Luminium

I agree with Ed, drums MAY be a little harder to work on, but the rear brakes only carry maybe 70% of the work load and probably only get worked half as much as fronts - plus more 'traditional/straightforward' parking brake arrangement.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Edward Hayes wrote:

Reply to