Forester question

I just started watching this group so if I've asking in the wrong place let me know.

I take forever to shop for a new car and my wife is putting the pressure on. She really likes the Honda CR-V EX model. I've tried to push her into a 2WD Toyota Highlander with a V6 because I'd feel more comfortable towing small loads with it than the Honda. We had ruled out the Forester because it was smaller than the Honda or Toyota. However there was a small write-up on the 2.5 XT in the local paper recently and my interest is renewed.

Size is still an issue. I'm wondering if there are some decent roof-rack storage options for the Forester that could be used for family trips a couple of times a year? I'm not talking about the Sears plastic rook-top cargo haulers because I know about those already. Are there any other nice fitting and looking options?

** Due to SPAM I no longer receive email responses to ** newsgroup postings, so don't bother.
Reply to
Abe

Abe wrote- "She really likes the Honda CR-V EX model. I've tried to push her into a 2WD Toyota Highlander with a V6 because I'd feel more comfortable towing small loads with it than the Honda. We had ruled out the Forester because it was smaller than the Honda or Toyota"

I recommend you don't eliminate the Forester from contention too casually.

We have a 2002 Forester S- it replaced a Dakota pickup which our son wanted to tow a new and bigger boat. I test drove the CR-V and found the seats less comfortable than the Forester. We have had previously both a Toyota and a Subaru at different times, and I far prefer the attitude and service at the Subaru dealer. And IMO the Forester is the better winter car for the conditions here in New England.

We also bought a 4ft by 6ft utility trailer rated 1500 lb, however in use we limit the actual loaded weight to about 1000 lbs so not to overload the Forester brakes.

The combination does almost everything the pickup did- taking stuff 90 odd miles to and from camp, carrying the snowblower, runs to the landfill, etc etc. The Forester has plenty of power, it cruises with the trailer on the highway easily at 70 mph, and uses half the gas compared to the pickup. And loading/unloading the trailer is easier because of the lower bed.

We wish you good luck with whatever you decide.

Reply to
D L YOUNG

We bought a Wethertech cordura rooftop "bag". The thing holds almost as much as the cargo area of the Forester. It is amazing how much stuff you can cram up there. We had a bout 150lbs in it one year and it made the car feel a little top heavy on mountian roads. It was only about $100.

Reply to
Rob Munach

The Thule pods are very popular on the Subarus where I live. I'm thinking of getting one so that my wife has a place to stash her ski equipment without getting the car all wet inside.

Reply to
Jim Stewart