Forester recommendations

I'm shopping for a used late model Forester and I'd like your input on what years to avoid or look for based on problem areas that were subsequently fixed or must-have features that were added. Thanks for your input.

Cory

Reply to
Cory

Good choice on the Forester for a vehicle. We have purchased new a 1999 stick and just recently added a new 2004 auto to the fleet. The 1999 stick has some clutch chatter when cold but we have had zippo problems with it overall. The 2004 has a much more stable almost stiff ride to it. I drive the 1999 which has a more heavy feel and less stiff suspension. Can't wait to trade in the 1999 in in five years for a 2009 Forester. Overall, they are great vehicles for the price.

To answer your question, there are probably some experts in this group but I have heard that possibly the 1998 Forester had some recalls, etc. BTW, if you can get the VIN number of the used Forester I have heard that you can go to the subaru site and look up issues/recalls, etc.

Good luck with your Forester.

-Jim

Reply to
Jim Knoll

Forester. Overall, they are great vehicles for the price.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

This is from: Canadian Driver Oct-03

Buyer's Alerts Subaru Forester, 1998 - 2002

a.. If first gear pops out while driving the cause may be the clearance between the driven shaft and first driven gear and gear hub assembly (TSB

03-48-99, July 1999). b.. A slight engine hesitation between 1,500- 2,500 r.p.m. may be traced to the engine control module (12-70-01, April 2001). Recalls: Subaru Forester, 1998 - 2002

a.. 2003: Transport Canada recall number 2003054 refers to the seat belt tongue plate. It may become disengaged with the seat belt buckle latch with a force less than the value specified. b.. 2002-2003: No. 2002200 refers to automatic transmissions. The parking pawl actuating rod ("parking rod") spring retainer may be defective. c.. 1996-2000: No. 2000069 refers to compliance labels not expressed in both official languages. d.. 1998-1999: No. 1999043 refers to anti-lock brakes (ABS). The brake master cylinder secondary circuit may not function in extremely cold weather due to brake fluid bypassing the fluid supply valve, which remains open. e.. 1998: No. 1998154 refers to the front right corner impact test for the standard causes the right front fog lamp lens to break.

Report Cards

1998 Subaru Forester L

Road Test Access: B+ Driving position: B+ Instruments/Controls: B- Visibility: B Climate Control: B Steering: B- Brakes: B- Handling: B Acceleration: B Engine: B Transmission: B+ Interior space: B Trunk/Cargo: B+ Noise/Vibration/Harshness: C+

Durability/Reliability Overall: A- Mechanical: A- Hardware/Body/Paint/Trim: B+

Safety Anti-lock braking: yes Airbags (driver/passenger): yes/yes Traction control: all-wheel drive Driver/Passenger Front Crash Protection: ****/**** (out of 5)

Also found this on this Ng, it's mentioned in the Alerts section above, you could ask dealer what this TSB is about and if it applies to the one you buy:

Can anybody tell me what Technical Service Bulletin 11-53-98 dated 990101 said about cause and solution of engine hesitation on '98 forester models?

Reply to
ed

[snip]

ed, That's a great post. Thanks for the info.

Bob J.

Reply to
Bob J.