Forester Replacement Tires

Have a '02 Forester LS with 33,000 miles with factory Goelander tires. Its almost time to replace them. Do I hear any suggestions? We're looking for a quieter tire.

Reply to
Bagpiper

I replaced my OEM tires on my 2001 Outback with Yokohama Avid H4S. Much quieter than the originals. One thing surprises me that after 33K your tires need replacing. My OEM's lasted 66K with regular rotation and wheel alignments.

Reply to
BudMan

This subject has gone through the group many times. I replaced the Geo's on my 04 with Goodyear Assurance TripleTread. marked improvement in every aspect including noise and comfort but especially wet traction. Check TireRack.com for suggestions they have comparisons for all kinds of tires and consumer feedback to help you decide.

I opted for the Michelin HydroEdge for my 03 Forester. The HydroEdge and the Goodyear TripleTread are similar in design, with a directional tread to channel water. Got mine from tirerack.com and had my dealer mount and balance. I am very happy.

I'm not touting Michelin over Goodyear, just saying I'm very happy. Handling is good, road noise reduced. I've driven in a serious coastal storm (rain, wind gusting to 50+ mph) and my Forester handled fine.

George Bame Norfolk, VA

Reply to
George Bame

George, do you know how they handled in snow??

Reply to
Mike

Yokohama Avid Touring. Much quieter and smoother ride. Execellent rain tire.

Reply to
BRH

I second the Goodyear Triple Treads. I have them on my Forester. They are EXCELLENT in the snow, ice, and rain. More quiet than the stock tires too. They also have a long lasting 80,000 mile tread wear warranty. I have had them since January - absolutely no complaints.

I would purchase them again in a heatbeat.

Reply to
Dom

I have no snow experience with the Hydroedge tires. Other folks are saying the Goodyear TripleTreads handle well in snow. Due to the similarity in design, I expect the Hydroedges to be similar.

BTW, due to information I picked up on this newsgroup, I ordered the tires from tirerack.com and had my dealer install them. Saved over $100 over buying locally.

George Bame Norfolk, VA

Reply to
George Bame

I found the triple treads to handle very well in the snow (we get wet coastal snow here). Unless your driving several months of the year in snow these, or most other good all-seasons will do well, especially with a sophisticated awd vehicle like a Subaru. Just don't drive like an idiot in the snow and ice, theres' physics involved that cannot be overcome completely by a tire or awd system. The most dramatic difference from the Geo's to the tripletreads is how my anti-skid braking system never seems to kick in in the wet anymore, the tires grip, big-time! Finally, the triple-treads look great.

Bagpiper