Forester Trailer Wiring Connector

The 6-pin connector pre-wired into the Forester and many (all?) other Subaru's for connection to the trailer wiring harness must be a standard connector that can be purchased through an electronic parts store such as Newark or Mouser. Does anyone know the manufacturer and part number? I can get the necessary converter with pig tail leads on the auto side for about $15 and the connector should be less than $5.00 but Subaru wants $95 for the OEM harness :-)

When I had the OEM hitch installed on my 97 OBW ten years ago, it came with the connector but not the rest of the wiring harness. I should have studied the connector a bit more before I sold my OBW with the hitch and harness.

(I know there are after-market harnesses but I haven't seen any yet the connect to the 6-pin connector that is already there.)

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

I just installed the OEM hitch that I bought at

on my 2005 Forester XS.

Hoppy Lite-Mate appears to have made the OEM trailer harness as their name is on the cover.

There is a picture here

Chart says 63855, mine looks like the photo 63255 with special grommet to pass through tire well.

Other charts give 33855, odd how the first two digits varies.

Another photo
The connector only has a cross-like symbol that may be the Sumitomo trademark on the back and "Y07" molded into it. I have not come across a connecter like that before.

I did look around and found this much information on the Delphi automotive connector site:

090 Series Terminals

Delphi Connection Systems .090 Product Line is a series of box-and -blade electrical connection systems based on a standard male blade width of 0.09 inches.

These look like the pins,

Part Number: 13533981 Description: 6 Way Natural 090 II Unsealed Male Connector Assembly, Max Current 20 amps

They have a drawing but is tif file you have to download. The drawing does give a Sumitomo part number of

6249-1225

I'm pretty confident it is a Sumitomo part being it is a Japanese car and the symbol on the connector. Their site is here:

This is as close as I could find. Wonder if you call Subaru and ask?

Take a look around

and maybe find a match.

With a price like that for the OEM harness, I guess what I paid was not too bad. I looked at all the other options and I am glad I just went with the OEM kit.

Good Luck,

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Thanks for all the detailed information. I looked at the drawing for the 13533981 connection you mention. It seems to have the same pin and cavity system and the same locking system, but the shape is more rectangular than the connectors in my OBW and Forester. They are just about square, if I remember correctly. It also strange that Delphi doesn't list the mating connector when I click on the Related Parts tab.

I found a Hopkins 43855 wiring harness with the proper connector on Amazon.com for a fair price and have purchased it. (I know that Amazon states that this harness fits the Forester only up to 03, but the Hopkins site confirms that it fits the 06 Forester - as the connector looks exactly the same as the one on my 97 OBW.)

After my wiring harness arrives next week, I'll try to figure out if the connector matches anything that can be purchased individually, since that information may be useful to others in a similar situation.

Well, I just found some more data:

Here is a link to a similar 21-pin connector by Sumitomo:

and there are a bunch of Sumitomo data sheets here:

But none I have looked at are an exact match.