Forester Wheel bearings

I have a 98 forester (In Canada) and another wheel bearing appears to have gone bad. I had one replaced a long time ago under warranty. I understand they now use the legacy wheel bearing pt 28016AA030. Is this something a dealer should do or can a local mechanic do it. Part supply place has a part for it but doesn't list the seals. Dealer says $220 for parts and labour ($75 for bearing and $40 for seals). I'm not sure if I can get generic seals or just not bother and get the dealer to do it. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Myles

On those rear wheel bearings we have found the main reason for them going bad is rust build-up on the outboard part of the cv axle. This causes the inner bearing seals to rip and allows water and such inside. Some people reccomend replacement of the axle, or just clean it up real good.

Reply to
Bubba