Forester XT torque curve

In the middle of April, when there were many questions about the performance and power of the Forester XT, I made an educated guess about its torque curve. Here is what I wrote then, with Nm quantities included now for convenience:

RPM lb-ft Nm

1600 ~160 217 [from base 2.5l engine +AVCS +turbo] 2000 ~190 258 [from base 2.5l engine +AVCS +turbo] 3600 ~235 319 [official spec] 4600 ~220 298 [interpolated] 5600 ~200 271 [official spec, converted from max hp (197, exactly)] 6000 ~180 244 [interpolated from 2.5l + turbo specs, and max hp cond.] 6400 ~160 217 [interpolated from 2.5l + turbo specs, and max hp cond.]

Now, Subaru of Australia has published the actual torque curve of the XT

). You can see that my estimate was within a felt-tip pen stroke (a very few percent) of this curve. Interestingly, I left out the area between 2000rpm and 3600rpm because I could not figure that one out. It turns out that there is a slight saddle in the torque curve there ? but nothing to be concerned about. Other than patting myself on the shoulder here, I want to point out that it is quite possible to get a good idea of an engine?s performance from a few data points and specs that are available.

The above .pdf file is also describes other engine features quite nicely.

- D.

Reply to
TransFixed