Forrester Thermastat

I have a 2000 Forrester that is overheating a bit. On other cars I have owned, this is a sign that the thermastat is not working properly.

I have changed the thermastat in older cars but the Forrester has some engine components over the area where I assume the thermastat to be.

It looks like a bit of a pain to get to it. Is this something that should be done by the dealer? Am I right in thinking that it is probably the thermastat?

Thanks, David

Reply to
Dyhibb

What engine do you have? I have the 2.2 and on mine, I thought this to be the case as well. Look underneath where the lower radiator hose connects to the waterpump. This should be the thermostat housing. It's only a couple of bolts I think and it should come right out.

Reply to
oothlagre

You didn't mention which engine. The problem could be the thermostat or radiator,radiator cap,poor coolant, insufficient coolant, leaking head gasket, yada,yada,yada. TG

Reply to
TG

It shouldn't take too long to get the thermostat out and you can check it on the stove if you have a good thermomitor.

If you find you need to replace, ONLY use the factory part. Recently changed my thermostat with decent Beck-Arnley unit but found out the water passage in the BA was only about 50% of area of factory part. Running temps were up 15-20°.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey