Forrester with Tweed Seats ?

I have a 1997 Outback. The seats have a nice durable tweed fabric.

I'm in the market for a Forester but don't really like the seat fabric. Yea - I know that shouldn't be important, but it is. I would get leather if it didn't require that I get the Turbo with its lower mileage.

I saw an older Forester in a parking lot today that had tweed seat fabric almost like that in my Outback. Does anyone know which year Forester used that seat fabric?

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Edward Hayes

If the mileage is your biggest concern, you might find that the mileage isn't so bad, depending on how you drive. I really don't know, but I had a Saab 900 turbo, and mileage varied very widely depending how heavy-footed I drove. I could get the mileage way up by driving gently. The nice thing about a turbo is that it consumes extra gas only when you need it.

I hope people with real world experiene with the Forester can report their findings here.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold

I agree that Turbo doesn't have to mean poor mileage. Our other car is a 2002 Passat with the small turbo and manual transmission. This 2-wheel drive car is rated for 31 MPG highway and I get 35 miles to 38 MPG on the highway.

On the other hand, the Forester turbo is rated for 25 MPG vs

29 MPG for the non-turbo.

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

My Forester 2 litre turbo (Australia) gets about 28 mpg on average use. That's imperial gallons - converted to US gallons it would be about 32 mpg. I would be surprised if the non-turbo would be much better. Of course if you want to a boy racer, you can use as much as you like.

I was surprised to find that 1 imperial gallon = approx 1.2 US gallons - I knew there was a difference, but not that much.

Dave

Reply to
Coggo

Thanks for the data. That is good mileage.

The current US Forester XT uses a 2.5 Liter turbo. Do they use different engines in different countries, or is your Forester an older model?

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Didn't you do the math backwards? Since the Imperial gallon is larger than the US Gallon, you would go a shorter distance per US gallon than Imperial gallon, not a longer distance.

Or, to do the math,

Mileage = 28 miles/Imp Gal * 1 Imp Gal/1.2 US Gal = 23.3 miles/US Gal.

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Vic,

Yes, mine is an older model - the newer Foresters here, including the XT, have finally gone to the 2.5 litre engine - I think we were one of the last countries to get the 2.5.

So I guess that the mileage would be a bit lower for the 2.5 overall, but as a previous poster said, the turbo need not be thirstier than the non-turbo - it all depends on the weight of your foot!! The turbo doesn't do a real lot at low revs and small throttle openings, but it's real nice to have it when you want it.

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
Coggo

It's 1.25, and you multiplied where you should have divided. Your 28 mpg there is 22.4 mpg here in the good ol' You Ess Ay.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold

It is 1.200949925504855 to be exact. But you are right that he should have divided instead of multiplied.

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Hmmm ... yeah ... sorry 'bout that ... obviously maths isn't my strong point!!

Dave

Reply to
Coggo

In article , Coggo wrote: (snip)

(snip)

It's because of the pints. In both cases there are eight pints in a gallon, but the US only has 16oz in a pint instead of 20oz. (American fluid ounces are slightly bigger, but only by a little, which is why an Imperial gallon is just over 1.2 US gallons instead of being 1.25 of them.)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Carroll

When in doubt, I go back to the only algebra I remember: the simple, one-variable equation.

In this case:

28 is to 1.2 as x is to 1.0: 28/1.2=x/1.0 23.3=x (divide both sides of equation by 1.2)

Marc Sindell Twin City Subaru Sales Montpelier, Vermont

Reply to
marcus153

Huh!, I know the Americans are screwed up in their measurements but at least their ounces are the same.

Reply to
Grolsch

Not according to my unit conversion calculator and

both give 1 US Fluid Ounce is equal to 1.0408 UK FluidOunces. (You need to divide 1.043 176 by 1.002 241 sincethe Web site does not give a direct fluid ounce to fluidounce conversion.

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

I shouldn't butt in again, seeing I started all this, but my metric conversion site

says that1 US fl oz = 1.048424471440 UK fl oz. It's all too confusing for my tiny brain - roll on the day when there is a world-wide standard. Probably the same day when the pigs are seen flying and there's no more wars.

Dave

Reply to
Coggo

using the site you specify I get

1 US Fluid Ounce is equal to 1.0408424714400801 UK Fluid Ounces. This is the same value as I gave in my note, but to higher precision. You seem to have left out a zero after the first 4.

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Aha. Never mind my previous post.

Reply to