four wheel drive shaft fell out

the four wheel drive shaft fell out of my 94 subaru. kinda scary when it happened but any way. I diconnected the shaft from the rear axle because there was no use in trying to fix it. the carrier bearring mout rusted away from the floor of the car. So, I no longer have four wheel drive option. My questiom is , can i drive the car like that? i realize that i need to keep the hole plugged up on the tranny where the axle shaft was. But will this work? will the motor be running to freely?

Reply to
urabus

Holy cow. The vibration attacking you wasn't a tell tale sign? Just a bad bearing in the lighweight subaru sounds like a fire house alarm times 10. Can I call you numb without offending? Maybe a weirdo to while I am at it. A "numb weirdo".

2 wheel drive will keep it going like a b17 without a rudder, but for an emergency trip home...

WEIRDO.

Reply to
bgd

Wonder what will fall off next. Make sure to plug the holes in the floorboard so the damn thing doesn't kill you.

Reply to
Porgy Tirebiter

Sounds like my kind of car. Keep on trucking.

Reply to
johninKY

urabus wrote in news:998997_b997336e549a716f515d92d2ebbe94d0 @autoboardz.com:

That depends on the model. If it is a Loyale that uses the "on demand" 4wd you can turn on and off with a push button all you need to do is cap the rear of the trans so no dirt gets in or lube gets out.

If it's an impreza or legacy that has full time 4wd you'll be lucky to get it to a scrap yard under it's own power. These models have either an electronic controled clutch or a viscous coupling between the front and rear wheels and everything must be properly coupled to the ground to keep from toasting the trans.

Later, Joe

Reply to
Joe Kultgen

Probably would work OK, but you are gonna have real difficulties "plugging" the rear of the tranny; the output splines extend past the seal, and there's nothing to retain the front section of drive shaft if you were to try to use that. Unless the seal is made, tranny fluid will run out as fast as you can put in it.

Possible, I suppose, that you could figure a way to thru-bolt the center bearing carrier up thru the floorboards/center hump . . . Then again, you might wind up _wearing_ the drive shaft if it lets go again :-P

You might be able to find and swap in a FWD only tranny.

Whatever you decide, you probably will not want to pay a mechanic to do it; you will exceed the value of the car rather quickly, just in labor. Realistically, if the car has that much rust you'd probably be better off to simply find another one; perhaps one that needs a motor or tranny, if you are capable of performing the swap yourself.

A salvage yard will probably offer you $400-500 for the car if the engine and tranny are good and reasonably low miles; say less then

150K. Much more than that, and the car is probably worth a couple hundred at the crusher, but that's about it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it just doesn't make good sense to put money into a car with serious chassis problems.

ByeBye! S. Steve Jernigan KG0MB Laboratory Manager Microelectronics Research University of Colorado (719) 262-3101

you might ask around at

- those guys have found lots of - ahem - 'creative' ways to keep soobs on the road.

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan