Frequent A/C hiss above 2500 RPMS

Hey all, So, the dealership couldn't figure it out, other message boards couldn't. Can you???

I have a 2007 2.5i Outback 5sp. Whenever I have the A/C on the highway, every 10-30 seconds i get a hiss from the dash (what i suspect is the expansion valve.) I can hear it over the radio and get's quite irritating on long drives. Right after the hiss, i notice that the A/C blows out much colder air. I hear nothing driving around town and also notice that the cold air is more consistent, that is not this cold air/ warm air cycle.

I did a little test in the parking lot and noticed that A/C will hiss if i rev the car up to 3000rpms while in nuetral. Lower RPMs seem to be fine for the A/C

Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks for all of your help

Reply to
Thayer.Hirsh

What do the High Side/low side gauges say when you do this?

Reply to
Porgy Tirebiter

Sorry, I'm not sure what the HIgh Side/low side gauges are. Is that like the pressure before and after the expansion valve? Thanks for the help!

Reply to
AnneCULaw

I have experienced the hiss you refer to due to:

- Low refrigerant charge, usually together with some gurgling.

- Defective expansion valves which sometimes get as bad as to squeal when the compressor cuts in and out.

good luck!

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
AS

Sorry, what are those gauges? Would you know anything about the relation of RPM to the exapnsion valve?

Reply to
Thayer.Hirsh

Sorry, what are those gauges? Do you know if there is a relationship between engine RPM's and the expansion valve use>?

Reply to
Thayer.Hirsh