Front Axle Shaft

I have a 94 Legacy Station Wagon that has about 150k miles on it and still runs great, but I took it in to get the oil changed and was told that the front axle shaft was cracked and this sticky stuff was exposed. However, it was late in the day and the mechanics decided not to do anything about it. I haven't driven the car much since then, but haven't had a chance to go in and get it fixed. How soon should I go in and do this? I would have done this earlier but live far enough away from a mechanics (I'm out in a rural area) that I can't just go and do it easily, and this has been a busy week. Would I be able to make a 400 mile (roundtrip) Thanksgiving drive on this without creating more problems? That would be great, because then I can just get it in afterwards, but I don't want to cause damage that would add to the cost.

Thanks.

Reply to
deepseacatfish

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1164122200.190351.124720 @m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

From your description it sounds like you have a split in one of the rubber boots that cover the axel joints.

If you don't replace the boot the grease will get contaminated with road dirt and eventually flung out until the joint is running dry. You'll start hearing a clicking noise while turning which will slowly get louder until it turns into a crunching noise as the axel joint is totally destroyed.

This whole deal is a slow process. I've driven thousands of miles with a split boot. The thing is if you get the axel re-lubed and the boot replaced soon it should run about $20 for parts plus the labor to remove and replace the axel. If you wait until the joint is destroyed you're looking at the same labor charge and roughly $150 for a rebuilt axel.

It's pay now or more later.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Kultgen

If you hope to get away with only replacing the boot, do it ASAFP, otherwise the small repair of the boot will become a very costly half shaft replacement.

No, I'm afraid this is not advised unless you're resigned to half shaft replacment eventually. That'd be a long way to go to throw the grease out and collect road debris. Can you get to a car parts store and perhaps get a split boot kit to slap on there? I might even consider duct tape of all things to try to keep the joint clean as possible.

You do run that risk, but you're about out of time to do anything about it if you have to travel tomorrow. Wish I had better news.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

On my wife's old Beretta, when the boot split, I just started pumping CV grease in there during oil changes until I got around to doing the axle

- the price of both boots almost added up to a whole new axle. (and I put new struts on it at the same time.)

But... we have a second vehicle, so once the CV joint started clicking I could park it until I changed it.

Ray

Reply to
Ray

If it doesn't make any clicking or popping noises when you make a hard slow turn, you're fine. If the noise is excessive, you should get it fixed soon.

Reply to
Jim Stewart