Fuel O'flow prob on newer soobs?

Anybody experiencing overflow when fueling with automatic nozzles? Seems there may be a trend of '04 STI/(WRX?) maybe other MYs with this issue. Could damage vapor recov. system also possibly torch someone. report to NHTSA if you encounter this.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Almost everytime I fill the tank. I have simply adopted a more careful method of filling the tank, but still, like today, I pour a half-pint on the ground. Had to take a bottle of drinking water and rinse my paint. But why should I report to the feds if I can't fill my car without spilling? They'd probably want to fine me. NO thanks.

Reply to
GTT

This happened to me this summer while on a vacation.

I was told by the gas station manager that if the previous customer had "topped off" his tank the next customer gould get an overflow.

But I don't understand why this should happen.

Reply to
Sam Soltan

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Could be referring to multiple pump situation where the flow rate is effected by the other pumps. When one stops it frees up volume that the other pumps can take advantage of, plus there is the plumbing hammer effect when it is shut down. My 2 cents, F.Plant

Reply to
F. Plant

ED, if there is a DESIGN FLAW in the new soobs causing an overflow or even an over FULL condition(as some have complained of) there is a distinct possibility of damaged vapor recovery systems as well as someone getting torched.

quite few folks on more than one message board have reported it - of course, perhaps some newer fuel PUMPS are the problem - but why just soobs (so fars as I know) reporting it. If it isn't affecting you - fine

- why even comment?

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Edward Hayes wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

The technology that shuts off the pump is pretty universal in its application and I don't see how the fill tube design could do much to affect that. Essentially, there is a small hole in the wall of the "spout" and when the fluid level backs up to that point, it fills the hole and the pump is shut off. It is MUCH MUCH MUCH more likely the pump is defective.

Stu

Reply to
Stu Hedith

There MAY be an issue with the 'horizontalness' of the fill tube on the '04 Imprexas. But a few still report no problem. There is a thread at

and
- I forget which one is the original but it is extensive now. Also, I started the one at
but it is very quiet. Some folks have quite spectacular overflow fountains.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Stu Hedith wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I suppose it's possible. I guess if the fill pipe is too narrow to let vapor escape that could cause a problem, but it would be all during filling up, not just topping off. The pipe can't be too horizontal or the nozzle would fall out. Even if it were a little more horizontal than normal, it shouldn't affect the shut-off appreciably. The correct location for the shut-off sensor is on the bottom which would be hit first in a more horizontal configuration.

Stu

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Reply to
Stu Hedith

It had this happened to me with a Forester 04. Now I am more carfull when filling up. I am still wondering if it was a defective pump.

Reply to
Hiver

I had this happen on my 01 Forester. However, the gas station employee claimed that the nozzle was bad as it had done that previously that day.

Reply to
Rob Munach

I got sprayed by a defective pump in St. Louis, where they have those STUPID rubber vapor recovery boots over the nozzles, and you can't seen when it's overflowing. The thing just swells up with gas, and starts spraying all over the place.