Fuse for rear utility outlet: WHERE IS IT????

I have looked at the diagram in the owner's manual until my eyes cross, fumbled under the cover below the steering wheel for half an hour, and I CANNOT find the box where the fuse for this outlet is located.

So I'm thinking, are these enabled by default, or is it part of some "options" package and the outlet is there but the wiring is not?

I have a small 12V compressor, and using it in the cigar lighter outlet pops the fuse for it every time. THAT one I can find (but I now run the compressor from my '85 Saab's lighter output) but not the other. I'm hoping the utility outlet is "sturdier".

'99 Outback Legacy wagon.

Reply to
Bob

Those outlets seem to have a fuse built on right behind the socket. Dunno if that is the only one - but that is the one folks complain about most because it requires interior trim panel disassembly. Also, some are only 'hot' when the key is 'on' or in 'acc' position, so, check that.

I doubt this is very helpful, but maybe it's something to be careful of.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

I also have a '99 Outback Legacy wagon.

The power outlet in the luggage area is llisted in the manual as "optional", but if you see it, you know you have it. There is a fuse link built into the outlet itself, but there is another in a fuse panel. You should pull out the socket to examine the link.

There is more than one fuse panel: one on the left wall near the drivers left calf and another in the engine compartment.

The manual has conflicting diagrams on p. 11-8 and 11-9 showing fuse number 22 in two places.There is a third diagram just to confuse you! I found number 22, but that was two years ago and I don't remember exactly where it was.Good luck!

Uncle Ben

Reply to
Uncle Ben

Thanks Ben and Tex! I would never have thought to look behind the socket itself. And knowing that fuse is NOT under the dash panel is worth a lot. Now to hunt it down.

Reply to
Bob