fusible link in subaru

what does the fusible link in a 91 subaru legacy wagon do?

it is drawing on the battery causing the battery to run down everynight uhnless i disconnect this fuse and reconnect it before driving every day...

Reply to
osote

Edward Hayes

wrote in rec.autos.tech

A fusible link is not going to be drawing the battery down. It is just a high amperage fuse in a wire, placed there to protect the equiptment from something with a very high current draw. All it connects is one part of the wire to the next part. Something else is causing your battery to lose voltage. What you need to do is to get something that will indicate current flow, such as an ammeter, or a test light connected between the negative terminal and the ground cable. And then start pulling fuses until the current drops down to almost nothing. Then you will have isolated the circuit. From there start testing everything on the circuit to see what is not shutting off when the car is off. One of the most common things is the trunk light. Find the switch that shuts it off, and push it in to see if the light goes off. If not you probably have your culprit.

Reply to
Dick C

the fuse isn't the problem. there is a load downstream of the fuse. an engine lamp? a glove box lamp? something of that sort is the culprit. it can be frustrating to find the problem like this. good luck, sam

Reply to
sammmm

I don't think it's a fuse after all as I pulled the heater and fan fuses and the damned heater fan still came on even when in the off position. Also Subaru dealer said the fusible link goes to a lot of different things so it could be anything and wanted to charge me a small fortune just to begin trouble shooting where the short is. I'm not giving up! With this newsgroup's help and my determination I will do my best to avoid sinking any more money into this car!

Should I just pull the wires from under the dashboard that go to the heater and live without a heater?

Reply to
osote

wrote in rec.autos.tech

Try replacing the switch. That is probably your problem. Or better yet, get a wiring diagram and a test light and find out exactly what part is bad by tracing wires.

Reply to
Dick C