gas leak - picture - fuel filler pipe?

Hey, I started smelling a strong gasoline smell around my car, and after a little looking I noticed that a pipe near the back right tire was leaking gas after I shut the engine off. After a short period of leaking, the gasstops coming out. I looked in my manual, and my best guess is that the pipe is the fuel filler pipe. I could be completely wrong though. I've uploaded a grainy picture:

This picture was taken from behind the car, near the right tire. You can see a rusty silver pipe with a black shield that looks wet. This is where the gas is coming from.

Can somebody tell me....what pipe is leaking, and how much should it cost? I'm trying my best to not get ripped off.

I appreciate any help, thanks again,

Thomas

Reply to
thomashanno

I should also mention that there was no noticeable change in my MPG after the leak started, and that my gas gauge doesn't work.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
thomashanno

Hello,

Yes, that is your fuel filler pipe. I have exactly the same problem with my 1993 Legacy. I can't advise you about how much it would cost - the bolts holding mine on were pretty rusty so I decided removing the pipe was too much trouble. Instead, I got some JB Weld from the auto parts store and I was able to patch it with it on the car. So far, the patch has been holding up pretty well.

-Eric

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
esrose