Gas Mileage

Just curious what everyone else is getting.

Me:

2005 Outback Sport 5 speed with 8400 miles. Almost all city driving, southern US, air conditioner used most of the time.

25.5 miles to the gallon. I have seen 27 once and as low as 23. But it is almost always around 25.

Cheers John

Reply to
Gumby

My '01 OBW 5 speed manual never saw more than 24, but it had a four bike Yakima rack on top in 40,000 miles. I'm sure the rack cost a mile per gallon, or so.

If I hammered it, it got 22, if I babied it on highway rides, 24. Rarely did it ever have more than 2 people on board. Most driving was just me, 70% suburban, 30% open highway. Typical tanks got 23-23.5 MPG, on Connecticut's freaky gas blends.

I used Mobil 1 5w-30 changed every 5k, replaced air filters every 10k, and replaced the plugs @ 25k.

FWIW, I've now got a 2005, 6 speed manual, 4 liter V6, 4x4 Toyota Tacoma (all 4500 pounds of it!) with about 100 more horsies than the Subie, and it averages 19-20, with the same driver, on the same roads, in the same situations. At 3900 miles, the Toyota hasn't even seen synthetic lubes yet.

Reply to
Bonehenge

Reply to
Edward Hayes

01 OBW (4 cylinder) automatic. 25 city, 29 hiway (60-65 mph).
Reply to
John Rethorst

Just got rid of a Jeep Wrangler which I put slightly bigger tires on it. It looked cool but I was getting 14.7 mpg and before was getting

  1. I'm glad I sold it. Lewis
Reply to
lewben11

The change in tire size would have made your odometer, thus your mileage calculations, inaccurate, unless you adjusted for it.

Reply to
John Rethorst

"Anyone else notice that the shops moved two miles closer to home since I put them big tyres on? They must move more ground at the same speed!"

-mark

Reply to
mark jb

My '99 is the same. I got 425 miles on one tank of gas this weekend.

-John O

Reply to
JohnO
04 H-6 OBW w/Auto

Urban approximately 18-19 Highway approximately 25

Reply to
Jeff

2002 Forester. Best just under 28mpg. Worst was 19 something. Average I can plan on is around 23 to 25. I have 50K+ on the car.

I notice some pinging or detonation rather frequently and wonder if going up a fuel grade might improve mileage. I normally burn Mobil or Speedway 87 octane.

Reply to
Steve Bukosky

Best tank for me so far was 7.4litres/100

Ron

Reply to
Ron Joiner

Best tank for distance was 743.6 kilometres (or 462 miles)

Ron

Reply to
Ron Joiner

Sorry, 05 OBW 2.5l, auto

Reply to
Ron Joiner

I log all fuel ups and mileage, my 04 Forester XS, 5spd gets,

9.14litres/100kms (30.75mpg) on average since January 2005.

My best tank got 7.7litres/100kms (36.74mpg).

The average number includes 15,000km of combined driving including trips to Mount Washington (Vancouver Island) in the snow and some limited trailer towing.

I'd love to get 45mpg + but for an AWD vehicle with the Foresters practicality, not bad.

BTW, Our 90 Legacy, 5spd gets about 27mpg combined, although that car gets more city miles than the forester.

'00 OBS - 2.2 24/29mpg '02 OBS - 2.5 23/27mpg

-Danny

Reply to
Danny Russell

Reply to
philjackson

1998 Forester L Automatic. Just turned 227,000 miles this week.

23 city 26 highway with Thule 1600 cargo box on. About 1 mpg better on highway with it off. Oil changed regularly at 3000/4000 miles. Burns less than 1/2 qt between changes.....the same as when it was new.

Reply to
flyfisher7
2002 Impreza WRX

Best tank-- 21mpg

Worst tank-- 13.4mpg (on the highway- I95 heading to Florida witth bikes on the roof 95mph)

Average is about 18

Reply to
SuperPoo

Note that H is talking imperial gallons. In US gal he means 26.5 and 31.5 mpg respectively

My 95 Legacy, 5MT, 2.2 4cyl engine gets 7.5l/100kms (32 mpUSg) in commuting (95% Hwy). It's too bad that Subaru don't make a smaller engined car anymore. My next commuter will likely be a Corolla - I'll just suffer on snow days like (almost) everyone else.

Reply to
Dominic Richens

95 Legacy 2.2L 5MT - best tank ever was 6.7l/100km (36 mpUSg): I drove 1000km on the TransCanada at the speed limit (90kph), cool sunny day, strong tail wind, and I drafted a semi for about 200km of it.
Reply to
Dominic Richens