Gas Mileage: 90's vs. 2000's

I am considering a Subaru Legacy wagon as our 2nd or 3rd car. We want better gas mileage than the old SUV, but there is much disagreement among the EPA figures, the Subaru dealers and fellow Subaru users.

I thought most pre-2000 models got 24 mpg in the city, and 2000 models and newer get 22 mpg or less. The dealer claims that since all '99 Legacies have 2.5 engines, they also have 22 mpg. To add to the confusion, my neighbors claim their '98 amd '02 Outbacks both get 26 to 30 mpg in the city...no difference! Other dealers claim the the 2.2 engine was the only one that got 24 mpg, and it was only available on the Impreza in later years. Huh?

So, have you had both? Was there a difference? Am I foolish to look for a '99 or older to get good gas mileage? Is there a web site with these answers?

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Radio

"Bill Radio" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Hey Bill,

I can only speak as an owner of a 2003 Baja. I've had it for almost a year, picked it up at the end of jan '03. We avg about 22 mpg. Owners of the 2004 turbo baja on NASIOC have mentioned avging 21mpg so far. I'd check NASIOC, do a search on the topic.

I'd say your neighbors are pulling your leg on the 26mpg city figure.

Reply to
Snowcatcher

I had a '98 GT sedan (2.5L DOHC) and averaged about 24.5 mpg. If I drove it hard, maybe I got only 24mpg and if I drove miss daisy i only got about 25 mpg. Now my '99 A6 avant (2.8L V6) will get 24mpg if I drive miss daisy and 14 mpg if I drive it hard. A typical tank is

19-21 mpg. Oh yeah, and the GT was much quicker.

Stu

Reply to
Stu Hedith

Every vehicle I've owned (Jeep,Volvo,Saab, Dodge) and Subarus have gotten at least as good as the EPA ratings IF I drive without my foot on it too much. My present 2000 Forester XS AT gives me 21-23 in local suburban driving and

26-28 on expressways at 75 mph. The EPA ratings are 22 & 27 mpg. It might be wise to compare vehicles' EPA ratings as personal driving habits vary too much to expect a realistic comparison. eddie
Reply to
Edward Hayes
[posted and mailed]

"Bill Radio" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I have found this web site to be pretty bang on for gas mileage numbers:

Fuzzy Logic

'99 or older 'may' need to provide considerably better mileage to offset the additional maintenance that may be required, depending on the care it received by previous owners. If mileage is a primary concern, a Subaru may not be where you should be looking. I don't know of anyone who chose their Subie based on mileage.

Our 2nd subie was a '95 Legacy wagon. It got a few mpgs less than our '90 Legacy sedan but it had much more carrying capacity. We thought the lower mileage was a good trade-off. Our '02 ForesterS is the best of both worlds. Smaller, but good useable capacity, better visibility, and about the same mid-20's mileage around town. I'm not a lead-foot nor do I find a need to exceed the speed limits since we have 70 mph on the major freeways.

BoB

Reply to
BoB

you would do better at 55 than 75 by about 20% :))

I have had 38 mpg Canadian from my impreza 2004 wagon 2.5 4 cyl engine. but I drive with snooze control set at a modest speed ;)

Reply to
No Way

I get 28-30 mpg highway with my 99 OBW (2.5L engine). This seems pretty typical from what I've read here.

Reply to
L. Kreh

Bob, You bring up a very good point! Money saved on gas may be lost in repairs. A review at edmunds.com shows that with current incentives, an '04 STD Outback wagon can be had for less than $22k, less than $1k over what we paid for my wife's '01 Forester, bought new in '00. Looking at the actual $ figures for gasoline for an '04 over one year, the differences among 21, 22 and 24 mpg are actually small.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Radio

My 2003 Baja has yet average under 25 mpg a tank. Best ever tank was 28 and some change. Mixed city/hwy driving

Reply to
nicklebon

I found a dealer who offered below what I expected to pay for a new '04 OBW, traded in my bigger SUV, and am going through the break-in period. First tank: 27.1 mpg, 20% city, 80% rural...no interstates. While I did baby the engine, that first report was music to my ears. And as an engine 'loosens up', I expect better. Whew. Subaru definitely was an improvement for gas mileage.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Radio