Gas Rage In Staten Island

I don't think I've ever seen a sedan Yaris, but it's bound to exist, isn't it?

Jasper

Reply to
Jasper Janssen

It hasn't yet. Here in Atlanta, where I've been motorcycling all week, I still see people flooring it away from lights in 3-ton fatmobiles. There's plenty of gas here at just iver $3.00 per gallon. I wouldn't mind seeing it go to $5.00, which may help reduce consumption untiul the refineries come back online, and get some of the SUV's off the road for a while. =20

At $3.00 / gal, I can afford it, but I'm staying home this 3-day weekend, to help conserve. =20 (Or, so some idiot hummer driver can burn it up instead?)

--

Reply to
Doug Warner

Are we? First I've heard about it.

Have you got any details/sources for that?

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur Clune

The best answer is to reduce consumption, and that isn't that difficult.

Oh, yes it is! It's called The Tragedy of the Commons effect: No politician dares mention the need to conserve because it would be the kiss of death for his political career. All his opponent has to do is say we can instead solve the supply problem by drilling more wells and building more refineries, and he gets the votes. After all, the politicians aren't even willing to require the manufacturers to make more economical cars, because people just won't vote for a politician who wants to take away their freedom to choose what to drive, so a fortiori they are not willing to make anyone reduce their consumption..

Please note that I don't like this situation, but it's the truth.

Reply to
bcrowell

The higher the price goes, the less consumption there is, which reduces pump sales, causing the oil companies to reduce prices, to increase sales, which increases need, which puts pressure on the supply, which increases prices.

The Wogster