gasket blow chances

My wife's 2002 Impreza 2.5TS is affected by that head gasket problem. When the recall was issued the car was treated immediately with a solution pured into the radiator at IIRC 40-50k miles. Impreza is reaching 90k miles now and drives bettent then ever.

My questions are: -what are odds (%) it is going to happen (are there real statistics somewhere) -if it happens does one or two heads blow -is that $2500 a typical fixing cost per one head or both -when fixed, is problem solved permanently -does Subaru cover it under warranty until 100k miles -are there any sympthoms I could predict the blow ahead of time

I have my 2002 Outback (70k miles) which I told is not affected but it is MT but my wife is reluctant to learn driving that (in fact she used to drive such for a while but it was 10 years ago). We are going to drive Chicago/Santa Fe/Chicago this winter and it will be 3000 miles at least. Should I just take my car - besides that gasket stuff both are in the perfect condition.

Also I consider to trade the care because heard that the cost of fixing that is quite high - $2500. Should I panic?

I am looking forward for some insight - I really do not know what to do.

Thx, Andy

Reply to
Andy Leszczynski

My 2000 Forester has also had the conditioner added at ~35,000 miles and I'm now at 98,000 without a hint of a problem. Remember that while there is a higher incident of leaking in those models there is no widespread problem. I also just finished ( 3,600 mile) trip from Florida to Wisconsin to Iowa and back running 70-75 mph whicle getting averaging 27.4 mpg. Have a good trip.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

You one of those engineering types, trying to logically approach the issue, looking for statistics :)))), asking the group in an effort to at least collect a sample of opinions to analyze :))))) I like that, its really very funny.

Can't tell you either way, cause its a bet, just like life, nothing is certain. In principle, its not a good idea/bet to get rid of a good car! It is better to wait till you get some good reason then dump it without hesitation.

The drive to Santa Fe isn't that long, and in cold weather the odds are in your favor, but then if you do break-down its going to be more unpleasant. You see another life's bets again. If you can afford to drive only brand new cars, that limits the risks somewhat :))))

Good luck, and let us know how was the trip. MN

Reply to
MN

I have an '02 RS, 96K, leaking head gasket. When they are fixed, both are replaced. The new gasket is different in design than the original. Watch your coolant levels and oil level as well as for white or blue exhaust color.

Reply to
DG

The magic stuff for the radiator is nothing more than a "stop leak" product. If your gasket was leaking at the time, there is a good chance if will fail at some point. Just my opinion.

Have been told 125k miles is about the limit for the HG IF it's going to fail. Mine lasted 123k miles. Right rear head is typ leak location I've been told and that is where mine was leaking.

Subaru is on the third or fourth design and was told the latest was a winner. Shop where I had mine replaced said they not seen a failure on the latest design gasket if all was done correctly.

I used a indie shop that is Subie only and only uses OEM parts. Typ when the HG's are replaced the job includes both HG's, water pump, front oil seal and timming belt. The shop I went with pulls the engine and has the heads resurfaced and ALL new seals in addition to the above. I had replaced the timing belt and water pump a couple months prior so didn't have them done again. My cost was $1350. If they had done their normal repair with the TB anf WP typ cost is $1600-1800.

Local dealer wanted $2k and didn't say what all they did for the price.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

My understanding is that the 2.5L engine from 1996 through 1999 had some catastrophic HG failures i.e. blow-out between combustion chamber and water jacket. Later 2.5L engines 2000-2003 had some external weeping type leaks which the "Subaru" cooling system conditioner is suppose to minimize.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Hi,

Judging by what a friend who owns an automotive machine shop tells me, you've hit the nail on the head w/ four words: "done correctly" and "heads resurfaced."

He's not a Subie guy, but does a lot of head work on alloy heads, both domestic (US) and import. He told me when I blew the HG on a Toyota pickup (22-R, usually considered a fairly bulletproof engine) at 69k miles that such experience is really quite common. His analysis is that many alloy heads are made so "light," with minimal amounts of metal for lots of coolant flow to keep them from overheating cuz of emissions technology, that they warp easily, especially if they aren't (or can't be--think single use "stretch" bolts) retorqued at regular intervals (my VW Rabbits called for 15k mi retorquing intervals, and I never had HG problems in over 220k miles between two of 'em--maybe he was onto something?)

But he said once the head's "warped into place" as it were, it can be resurfaced and generally won't warp further, so the new HG usually lasts "forever" (his words.) In the case of my Toy truck, he was right. Applying this info to Subie engines seems to hold true, too: I haven't heard of anyone who had a second HG failure with a new HG and resurfaced head. Anyone have different experience?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Interesting, I have both Outback and Impreza 2.5TS built in 2002. Dealer based of VIN told me that my Outback is not affected but Impreza is.

A.

Reply to
Andy Leszczynski

If I remember correctly, it was model yr 02 that the latest HG design was introduced. Could have been introduced at slightly different times for various models.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

Returned safely and without troubles. Impreza beats Outback in the long trips (provided you have enough room for all the stuff).

I decided to keep (at least for now) the car. But still I am curious what those statistics are :-)

A.

Reply to
Andy Leszczynski