Getting the shocks changed

I noticed that my ride quality has not been quite as confidence-inspiring over the rough roads recently (i.e. just about all of the potholed city streets of Montreal). So I did the standard shock absorber test: sat on each corner of the car and got off and watched if it bounced up and down, or just came up and stopped. Every side was fine, other than the driver's side front which bounced. So it looks like that one might be going. I called up the dealership and they're estimating about $400 (Canadian) per side to replace the shocks. Wanted to know if this is something that I should even bother to get done at the dealership, or should I go elsewhere? How much can I save? Should I get both sides of the front done at the same time, even though one side is fine?

Also it's going to end up with a different brand of shock absorber than the original equipment stuff in there now, will this make much difference to ride characteristics?

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

I reached the conclusion long ago that if you want to restore a car's ride to like-new condition, you have to change the shocks and springs.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Huge mistake if you don't change all 4. $800 for all 4 seems steep to me. Shop around and you'll find someone that will do it for much less. Doesn't have to be a Subaru mechanic/dealership. Replacing struts is about as generic as replacing tires.

Reply to
johninKY

I've had it done for $100 per wheel at a reputable front end/suspension shop. Monroe shocks.

Reply to
Pete

A good indie mech should be able to do this. It may save you a little. If you have time and put out some effort, its possible to get 'take offs' from someone upgrading their suspension. You may have to list in the WTB (want to buy) section of

. And wait. I believe the stock struts are made by KYB so there should be no problem with them as aftermarket.
has a suspension section with a little info on springs/struts . www.boxer4racing has a service where they take your struts and upgrade them with Koni Yellow inserts. You would need to email them to confirm - its tricky to find at there rather poor on-lline catalog. Great folks though - I bought my axle-back from them.

just some fyi stuff. let us know how you car turns out after the fix!

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

What after-market alternatives are there? Someone mentioned Monroe...

I have Koni oils in the Alfa (there's nothing like proper progressive dampers!), but our Suby still has the original gear.

Reply to
Clifford Heath