Good/bad years for Subaru

My wife is looking for a Subaru wagon in 4-wheel drive to replace her tiring '84 (301K miles) GL wagon. Is there any particular year(s) to avoid? She wants 4-wheel drive not all-wheel drive. Target years are '89 to '95. Any help will be greatly welcomed..... Roger XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Reply to
rogermont

You didn't mention country, but I'll assume US. I'm pretty sure that the

4x4 Loyale was available until 1992 and the AWD Impreza took over in 1993. I can't recall when they stopped production of the 4x4 XT, but the first year for the AWD SVX was '92 so I would guess you could find an XT up until 1991. I think the last year for the BRAT was 1988 or 1989. More or less, your options are limited as the 1990s were the time of the AWD change over. Not to mention that the overall refinement of the later AWD models was a lot nicer than the early 4x4 Subies.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Loyales were made until 94. The AWD Legacy was available starting in

  1. I had a 92 Loyale (stolen) that I liked very much. Any 90 to 94 Loyale without too much body rust and with less than 150 K miles would be a good buy. Have it inspected before buying.
Reply to
Gilles Gour

Someone stole a Loyale?

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

1987 was the last year for the BRAT.
Reply to
Rob Munach

I don't mean to get off topic but is there any particular reason for not wanting the AWD system? I'm not sure what advantage there would be for 4 WD over AWD. Just curious. BlueSTi "Scary-Fast"

Reply to
BlueSTi

Probably that you can put a 4WD into FWD. Although I could do that with my AWD by removing a fuse

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

The 4x4 Subies of old were basically like trucks, in that putting it into 4 wheel drive locked everything together and you could dig yourself out of most anything. However, it wasn't of much use on dry pavement. Although the AWD systems of today are always on and usable both on and off road, they do trade some off-road ability for that on-road usability. The earlier AWD models often have open diffs both front and rear, so it is easier to get stuck. The newer Subies often have at least a limited slip rear diff, so they are that much better, but a BRAT would probably still be better.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

One of the major reasons is locking differentials. 4WD systems use a transfer case and conventional differentials, while AWD uses a center differential that can lock. It is lighter, less complex, and gives better traction in most conditions than 4WD.

Reply to
JD

My wife and I are going to 'school' on this one---I insisted on

4WD thinking the selectable version would be more economical.. Now I find thru your posts that the AWD types would be more user- friendly than 4WD. and possibly compete mileage-wise. OPEC has us dancing the Devils Waltz. Prolly about time we thought of our alternative fuel sources. Would it do any good to call George W.? Don't think so..... Sometimes I regret being of the conservative persuasion.....
Reply to
rogermont

Do you know how much research is going on in the field of hydrogen power transportation? Evidently not.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

Maybe you should enlighten the rest of the uninformed instead of providing a useless smart ass response that reeks of your 'better-than-you' attitude!!

Too many PEs think they know everything. Must be part of the mandatory training program. ...and that's sad.

Reply to
Sniper

I read or saw a news report not long ago that showed several hydrogen powered cars "filling up" at a service station right in D.C. as a testament to the technology and putting it right in the faces of those we have voted into power. If I am not mistaken I recall the service station being a Shell (?) for some reason. I don't remember who the manufacturer of the vehicle was, but my money would be on either Toyota or Honda (am I allowed to say these on the Suby group?) coming through first with it after their success with putting hybrids on the road.

P.S. - I can still laugh at your comment about the P.E.'s even though I am in the engineer myself, civil actually, and know what you mean. There are definitely some "Doogie Howsers" that are quick to make sure that you know they are "better-than-you". On the other hand, there are plenty that are pretty subdued. Unless Mr. Perry had reason to put the "P.E." at the end of his name, like in an official correspondence, I personally think there's no need to add it except to show that "attitude" - this *is* a news group and not technical memos.

Reply to
S. Brooks

Yes, you need to put it in the face of the Democrats in Washington that do not support Pres. Bush's hydrogen economy initiative.

The DOE is pretty focused on hydrogen right. Oak Ridge National Labs has several research projects both for fixed generation of and for tranportation use.

Most current research is going toward fuel cell based electric vehicles. Unfortunately, fuel cells have a relatively short lifespan. Even using lab grade hydrogen, a PEM fuel cell is likely to fall to 1/2 of its original output power in less than a year. Recently, we have been testing some units that derive their hydrogen from natural gas. This means "dirty" hydrogen, and the fuel cells last about 6 months.

Or it could be part of a sig file. I spend most of my time in technical groups.

Charles Perry

Reply to
Charles Perry

It's my understanding the onboard 'fuel tank' is considered a 'bomb' in most states precluding the development of hydrogen fuel vehicles. Anyone know about this? I would prefer Mr. Perry, PE etc. NOT respond---I don't much care for his attitude or his pocket protectors. Roger

Reply to
rogermont

salt pork to season greens. The technique of smothering greens can be used with many vegetables; green beans work especially well. Meat is not necessary every day, don?t be afraid to alter any dish to vegetarian tastes.

1 premature baby, born dead Large bunch of mustard greens 2 white onions, 1 cup chopped celery Vegetable oil (or hog fat) Salt, pepper, garlic, etc.

Lightly brown onions, celery, garlic and meat in large heavy pot. Add a little water and the greens (which should be thoroughly cleaned and washed). Smother slowly for at least 2 hours, adding small amounts of water when it starts to stick. Stir frequently. When ready - serve with rice, grilled smoked sausage, green salad, and iced tea. Coffee and apple pie then brandy.

Maternity Ward Pot Luck Dinner

If you can?t get anything fresh from the hospital, nursery, or morgue; you can at least get rid of all the leftovers in your refrigerator.

1 - 2 lbs. cubed meat (human flesh, chicken, turkey, beef...) 1 -2 lbs. coarsely chopped vegetables (carrots, potatoes, turnips, cauliflower, cabbage...) Bell pepper onions garlic ginger salt pepper, etc. Olive oil butter

Brown the meat and some chopped onions, peppers, and garilic in olive oil, place in baking dish, layer with vegetables seasoning and butter. Bake at 325° for 30 - 45 minutes. Serve with hot dinner rolls, fruit salad and sparkling water.

Bébé Buffet 1

Show off with whole roasted children replete with apples in mouths - and babies? heads stuffed with wild rice. Or keep it simple with a hearty main course such as stew, lasagna, or meat loaf.

Some suggestions

Pre-mie pot pies, beef stew, leg of lamb, stuffed chicken, roast pork spiral ham, Cranberry pineapple salad, sweet potatoes in butt

Reply to
rogermont

On my STi I have the option of "Lock" on the DCCD. It seems to behave just like a old fashion 4WD when in lock mode. BlueSTi "Scary-Fast"

Reply to
BlueSTi

You're talking about the FreedomFuel initiative and Bush's whimsical la-la-land "Freedom Car." There are reasons why both Democrats *as well as* Republicans do not support it.

And so on and so on and so on.

- *

- -
Reply to
Styx

Be aware of the engine knock problems that the Loyales had in the 1990 and 1991 year models, at least. (These problems might have affected later years, but I don't know about that.) There were fairly significant engine problems, blown head gaskets, piston knock, etc. in the earlier Loyales. I had a 1990 model and needed to get significant engine work done on it at 90K miles, despite being careful to have oil changes and other maintenance done regularly.

-- Catherine Hampton Home Page * The SpamBouncer *

(Please use this address for replies -- the address in my header is a spam trap.)

Reply to
Catherine Hampton