Goodbye to Subies

Hello all:

Well, an hour ago I took the plates off my 2002 Subaru Legacy wagon (160,000 km), and traded it in for a new Mazda 3.

I have owned two Subarus. (a Loyale and a Legacy.)

I was so excited when I bought the Legacy - here was the first car I ever owned that had everything I wanted, nothing I didn't, and seemed to me to be a wonderful combination of intelligent engineering and sensible design. My Loyale had lost its engine due to an oil pump failure and it had a short life span. But I was confident that was a fluke, and was hopeful that the Legacy would fully live up to my expectations.

Sadly, after two (!) head gaskets, radiator, waterpump, 2 steering pumps, wheel bearings, and a 6 month struggle with a stubborn check engine light (and more...), I had had enough. Over the last 2 years I have spent over $4000.00 on repairs and have had the car in various shops and dealerships about once every month. Between the Loyale and the Legacy, our Subarus have left us stranded on the side of the road 4 times. Two Ford Tempos, and a Suzuki Swift never stranded me in this way, ever!

I know many happy Subaru owners, but I have lost all confidence in Subaru. I am disappointed in the service I've received, in the way I've been treated in dealerships, and in the lack of support I have experienced from Subaru - and most of all - in the reliability of the car I so much wanted to be "the best car I ever owned"

Thanks for listening to me and offering help and suggestions in this newsgroup! My hope for all of you is that your Subarus are trouble free and enjoyable!

Best wishes, and adios! :)

Reply to
Fred Boer

Didnt you buy this one used? That explains it. The lloyale was the low point in subaru history- they were nearly bankrupt. The outback saved them.

Reply to
bigjimpack

Hi!

Nope. Both were bought brand new... and maintained properly, btw... Nor were they driven off-road, or abused in any way...

And, yes, I know many people with amazing stories to tell about the reliability and longevity of their Subaru cars. Just wasn't my experience, at all!

If I had a penny for every time I heard "You know, I've never seen this in a Subaru...".. :(

Cheers!

Reply to
Fred Boer

I know how you feel as I use to be a loyal MOPAR guy but our last Chrysler was just too much. Quality just went down hill but the screwing the local dealer treated us to was the last straw. I'll never own another Chrysler product. The wife has a shorter, more forgiving memory and hints at going back to Chrysler but I have drawn a line in the sand and it just ain't going to ever happen. After I die she can buy whatever she wants.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

LOL.

Probably just bad luck. It happens. I've never bought any Sony product that was reliable - and others statistics clearly says otherwise.

My experience with Subaru was good. My wife's 2002 Forester, although, admittedly, very low mileage, has never had any issue thus far. In 14 years, Impreza 1993 had bad starter, loose heat shield and was plagued by torn CV boots requiring a half-axle change at some point. Other then that, all other fixes were normal (clutch, battery, brakes, spark plug wires replacement, etc). Friend's 1998 Legacy Turbo has never been to a shop for anything but scheduled maintenance.

DK

Reply to
DK

Hope you enjoy the Mazda 3; we have one now, too, and it's a nice car, but it's not a Subaru. Fun in a different way. If you find a good Internet Mazda group, could you post that here? There seems only to be a Miata group, and I'm trying to find a good discussion forum on these cars, no luck yet.

Reply to
KLS

Hi:

Well, I've only test driven the Mazda and driven it from the dealership to my home. So, I have little to go on as yet. We hope that it provides us with reliable and fun transportation for a nice long time...

Try here for a Mazda forum:

Fred Boer

Don't know if they're active, but there's rec.autos.makers.mazda and free.autos.mazda

I had a B2000 pickup, and after I replaced the head gasket a second time, I got rid of it. It was great when it ran, but that became an issue.

It seems every brand has their lemons, whether that's a certain year/model with issues, or just a certain car.

I've been very happy with Nissan's..... not so sure about my second try at Subies.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Avery

In 14 years, Impreza 1993 had bad starter,

Please, please...you're killin' me here with these stories! ;)

Fred

Reply to
Fred Boer

The one I find is rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata, which is not what I need or want. The other one you recommend is not on my news server.

Reply to
KLS

Hi:

Yes, I found those newsgroups as well as one called rec.autos.makers.mazda...but none of them seemed very active.

The link I gave you was for a web-based forum specifically for Mazda 3s. It isn't actually a newsgroup, but it is a place to discuss your car. Enter the URL into your browser.

Cheers!

Reply to
Fred Boer

I hear you. But I wouldn't say THAT. Your life expectancy could depend on how badly she wants another Chrysler...

Reply to
JD

How did you know why I've had several Jeeps?

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Hope you enjoy it & it's everything you want. As long as you bought new you won't need this!

Cheers

-- Message posted using

information at

hippo

free.autos.mazda

even less traffic than on mitsubishi NG

no idea why it's outside alt.autos.*

probably created by a free.* tree proponents

Reply to
osamahornifukus