GPS On 2015 Outback ?

Hello,

Does the 2015 Outback come with GPS standard ?

If an option, which one: the Eyesight system ?

Or, via a Sirius/XM subscription ?

Or,...?

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Bob

Bob:

Why not get it straight from the source? Go to subaru.com and select "Build Your Own" for the 2015 Outback.

This may be be entirely irrelevant to the 2015 Outback, but I would note that the GPS and the rear-view camera on my 2014 Forester XT are utterly useless--not worth $0.50 to me. The camera display is impossible to see in daylight. The best thing to be said about the camera display is that there is a flat surface in front of it that is a convenient place for my TomTom GPS. The built-in GPS has a poor, cluttered display with irreducible clutter, latent voice turn directions (dangerously latent if one actually followed them), and generally bad software. It's the GPS I would expect to find in a Yugo. Advice to Subaru: learn what Toyota uses in the Prius and go with that.

Reply to
Davoud

I also like to tell folks about my son's gps in a Mercedes. It went down and was repaired under warranty. Dealer told him it was a good thing that it was under warranty or otherwise would have cost him $3,000.

Reply to
Frank

I've always found built-in GPS in cars useless, and also the GPS on cellphones (lose the cell connection, you lose the GPS too), so I always go with dash mounted GPSes, like TomTom or Magellan. Those GPS also have their demons, but less so than any of the others.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Supposedly the overall electronics environment in the Subies have been radically improved for the 2015 model year in response to all of the complaints about their previous efforts.

Reply to
John McGaw

Not standard to the basic model and not even available there. Available as part of the "Moonroof Package + Power Rear Gate + Navigation System" option on the Premium and on the Limiteds it is part of the a couple of different packages but still not standard equipment. For the technophile I guess that the $2990 "Moonroof Pkg. + Keyless Access & Push-Button Start + Navigation System + EyeSight" gives the most bang for the buck.

Reply to
John McGaw

Eyesight has nothing to do with GPS; it's a collision-avoidance system.

Subaru may use Sirius/XM for traffic reports, but you certainly don't need it for GPS functionality.

Last I knew, Subaru required that you buy a moonroof in order to get a navigation system. Welcome to a $4,000 GPS system.

I was going to buy an aftermarket nav system from Crutchfield but ended up using a free navigation app on my iPad. It works great. I purchased the $9.95 upgrade for voice directions. I could also purchase traffic info if I wanted to, but I haven't needed it.

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

Patty Winter:

Would you be willing to disclose the name of the iPad app that you like?

Reply to
Davoud

The "Moonroof Pkg. + Keyless Access & Push-Button Start + Navigation System

  • EyeSight" package costs ~,000. A lot of money but not ,000 and certainly not as much as any number of other companies charge for the equivalent.
Reply to
John McGaw

They are also a hell of a lot cheaper, and you can take them from one vehicle to another, including to the car you rent while on a trip.

Reply to
John Varela
[unneeded quotage deleted]

Well, it was $4,000 when I bought my Outback a couple of years ago. I still think it's ridiculous that you can't get the nav system without buying a moonroof.

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

I'm very happy that I discovered using my iPad mini as a GPS unit in my Outback instead of buying an aftermarket system. I can use just the GPS software I want, and updates are frequent and free. And the initial investment is way lower than a nav system.

I don't know what Yousuf means by "lose the cell connection, you lose the GPS, too." Perhaps he's referring to traffic reports. One certainly doesn't need any kind of Internet connection to use the GPS receiver in a cellphone or tablet.

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

Sure. I use CoPilot GPS. I have street maps and POIs for all of the U.S. and Canada in my iPad mini; they were a free download. As I mentioned, I did pay for one upgrade, for voice-guided navigation. I haven't traveled to any other parts of the world recently, so I haven't needed to buy any maps. I just lay the mini on the passenger seat and a nice Australian man tells me about upcoming turns. :-) (There are lots of voices available; that's the one I'm currently using.)

I've seen MotionX mentioned a number of times on iOS discussion groups as another popular program. Check those groups for other ideas.

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

I believe that the reference is to navigation/map packages which don't use inbuilt map data and which download it as-you-go. Google Maps used to be this way although I understand that the current versions allow at least some limited downloading and storing of regional maps. GPS will always be able to provide your coordinates but relating that to the terrain and the roads calls for so much more.

Reply to
John McGaw
[unneeded quotage deleted]

Okay, well, there are so many free options for having detailed maps on the iPad that it really doesn't require an Internet connection these days. You only need connectivity for real-time info such as traffic conditions.

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

Most, cellphone maps download from a server on Internet. Lose your cell connection, you lose your Internet, and you lose the server supplying the maps.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

I am using an app called Here on my Android device, which I am 99% sure was free. If not, it was cheap, as I am frugal. It works quite well, and you c an choose where you want to store maps for. I have all of America in my pho ne and I think it takes about 7 gigs. My wife only has a few states near ou r home that she selected. A friend used it in Abu Dhabi. It's not quite as good as Google maps, but pretty good. It did try to send me the wrong way d own a one way street that was only one way at certain times of the day.

Reply to
weelliott

Patty Winter:

You think its ridiculous, Subaru's accountants think its ingenious.

Reply to
Davoud

Patty Winter:

Davoud:

Patty Winter:

Thanks for taking time to reply. I have MotionX but haven't played with it much. I'll check out CoPilot. Thanks again!

Reply to
Davoud

Okay, well, both CoPilot GPS and MotionX work on iPhones (and in the case of the former, Android phones) as well as on iPads, so there's no need to rely on real-time downloading of maps.

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter