Great tires on Outback

All--

We were talkin tires on r.a.t., and I mentioned that I got over

90,000 miles on the michelins on my 96 Outback wagon. Anyone know what specific tire this was? Is this unusual? Anyone else get this type mileage? Mostly 25 mile jaunts on NYC highways, some around-town stuff. Kept'em at 35 psi.

---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

I'm running Michelin Xones on my Forester and have about 60,000 miles on mine and maybe another 29,000 to go. Tread is down to 4/32 now and a little noisier and harder riding but, I'm amazed at how good they are in heavy rain after 60,000 miles. Many name brand tires showed serious loss of wet/dry characteristics when the tread was only 1/3 gone. ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes
85k on Michelins from a 99 OBW
Reply to
John

I have a 1997 Subaru and got 110,000 miles out of my Michelins XW4. Even though I got a ton of miles out of them, I did not like how they performed. They were noisy, would break loose easily in the snow and you felt every crack in the road.

I went looking and researching for a tire that would really deliver on it all, such as dry and wet braking and handling, winter driving/traction and a quiet ride. Some leading recommendations were Michelin HydroEdge, Toyo Spectrum, Goodyear Triple Tread and BigO Euro Tour. I came close to getting the Michelin HydroEdge, but the reviews were just too mixed. I read the design and logic behind the Goodyear Triple Tread and talked to a number of tire shops. When I told different tires shops what I was looking for, they kept recommending this tire. Finally, I talked to a person at one tire shop that got a chance to demo them and loved them. I decided to take the risk and be one of the first to give the tire a try. I have put 5,000 miles on them and can sum them up in one word: WOW! What a difference. With my old tires, I had to turn up the stereo once I got on the freeway. I don't even touch the dial now. You will not believe how quiet these tires are. I used to think the reason I felt every crack in a road was the Outback's stiffer suspension. The difference with these tires is incredible. I took a tight circle freeway offramp with a 20 mph speed limit at 40 mph and the car took the turn better than going 20 mph with the old tires. Where I used to get a side lean in a corner, these tires hold solid and make cornering effortless. I was driving yesterday down the freeway going from dry road to heavy showers and could feel no difference - and the traction was solid. I have had them off road, they did great, but you do pick up gravel in the tread. I have not had a chance to try them in the snow and ice yet, but their design and center strip logic seems sound.

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message news:4155200e$0$4030$ snipped-for-privacy@news.rcn.com...

Reply to
WillW

Could anyone recommend some tire review web sites?

Reply to
John Rethorst
Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

I found this website very helpful...

Reply to
WillW

They have only been out for a little while, therefore the true mileage is still unknown. The indication is that you should get around 80,000 miles out of them. Once you drive them, it is hard to believe because the tire really does perform like a high performance tire and is very quiet. These tires are on the expensive side though... around $100 each (mounted and balanced). I decided they were worth it and the difference from the lower priced tires was not that much when I looked at the mileage and design of this tire.

Reply to
WillW

$100/tire can take one's breath away for a moment, but pro-rated, that's actually cheaper than a 30K tire at $50 ea. But noise or no noise, you got over like a fat rat at 110K!

---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®
3 words... Green Diamond Tire at:

visit this link for 1 Subaru owners' experience:

here is 1 more:

Disclaimer: Yes- I do have a financial interest in this product, Yes- they are a remanufactured product, Yes- they are environmentally responsible and are proven superior in safety, performance and durability to the original core product.

Reply to
R Gostenik