GT auto transmission question

I have a 92 GT Legacy with auto transmission. On the side of the shifter there is a button marked 'MANUAL' - can anyone tell me what this does or why I would want to use it?

I've given it a push a couple of times on the open road, and it has shifted the transmission up a gear, but it does not seem to be consistent.

Reply to
Trent Corbett

Could be wrong but I think if this button is depressed when 1st gear is selected, the transmission will only upshift to 2nd gear, or it may not upshift at all.

Reply to
johninKY

It is for low traction situations. Pushing in the manual button will skip 1st gear from a stop - making the car start in second to reduce torque and possible wheel spin.

Reply to
Rat