Gurgling, Jetsons-car-type-noise?

I have a '98 Subaru Legacy AWD with 100k miles. When you rev, it's louder than it seems it should be and the usual engine noise sound is accompanied by another gurgling noise. It sounds kind of like a low-pitched bicycle chain click and is constant. My girlfriend calls it the Jetsons car now. Weird, no?

Also, if I accelerate uphill I can make a metallic rattle like a lid on a pot vibrating. This occurs briefly.

Pretty neat, huh? Any guesses? Any questions?

THANKS

Reply to
johncory

Sounds to me like a loose exhaust heat shield; mine sounds just the same!

Reply to
Limey Lurker

Sounds to me like a loose exhaust heat shield; mine sounds just the same!

Reply to
Limey Lurker

are u rich?

if no: sell it if yes: buy a better quality car

Reply to
glasceus

are u rich?

if no: sell it if yes: buy a better quality car

Reply to
glasceus

Uh-oh...Fafoofnik or whatever stupid name he posts under rides again? Not in a Subaru obviously.

-C-

Reply to
Clive

You are absolutely right, or perhaps a loose exhaust flange, I have a Volvo 240 that I recently gave to my teen son, It developed a leak and rattle becuase the three bolts that hold the cat flange to the exhaust pipe got loose, same as describled, slight glug glug sound, and rattly loose bolts. I believe you are on the right path.

Jerry

Reply to
jerryeveretts

Hi,

And you would suggest...????

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Thanks, everybody, I thought it was something low on the car like that. The plate that secures the exhaust - not the radiator.

Do you think if I try tightening that cover, I'll be cool? I don't understand about the leaking though. Exhaust leak?

Reply to
JC