H-8 vs H-10

Me thinks 4+ liter H-8 would be fitting for the upper trim of tribeca and 5+ liter H-10 would be a bit of an overkill

though judging from this pic

?i%3D4980278&h=1932&w=2580&sz=867&tbnid=7mdq_0SvnllfbM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&zoom=1&usg=__VrgaoCcozGodhHqI_fQ7X_YeJWU=&docid=a9HqXe3TuvDXrM&sa=X&ei=AT-4UdXmAcSZPYnzgGA&ved=0 CDQQ9QEwAg&dur=402 even H-16 can be sufficiently compact

I wonder though how easy to service was H-16 in lotus 43 given the (recent?) F1 obsession to cram lots of steam into small displacement

Reply to
AD

Need for service? More likely need for reliability. One win, that's all.

Reply to
Mower Man

Easy peasy. Take it out and send it to BRM. QED.

Reply to
Bobster

A quick look on subaru.com revealed

where I live the dealer asking price is $60k for the bottom trim If I had that much money to burn I'd want an 8 pot offering or at least a mild turbo to flatten the torque curve

thankfully, there is a shortage of idiots with $60k laying around in my neck of woods and I see Q5/Q7 on the streets far more often than tribecas

but the question remains would americans vote with their dollars for an H-8? might jolt the sales a bit so you'd see some on your dealer's lot

Reply to
AD

Ouch, $60K for a base model, now? And that's in the USA? According to the Subaru Canada website, it should only cost $38K. Usually, the Canadian prices are much higher than the American prices, despite the Canadian and American dollars being at basically par.

I see some Audis, but the most common SUV's I see on the streets here are Hyundais, both the Tucson and the Santa Fe. I do see lots of other Subarus here, mostly Foresters, Outbacks, and Imprezas, just not a lot of Tribecas.

Speaking of Audis, I've seen some videos about these Audis comparing their AWD capabilities against other cars, including Subies and BMW's, and they don't seem to be able to hold a candle even a BMW Xdrive system. This is surprising to me considering how much of an AWD reputation the Audi Quattro system has. Are these Audi SUV's truly Audis, or are they just warmed over Volkswagens?

I think the problem is that the existing H6 is too big and thirsty already, not that there isn't currently enough power available. Even Americans sometimes want more fuel economy sometimes.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

"The bottom trim"? I only see one trim on the Subaru.com website, the 3.6R Limited. And the starting price is $32,595.

I found a few in inventory in my area (San Francisco). They ranged from $35,061 to $39,829. One dealership is offering $6,500 discounts even before you ask for their e-price, so their website has prices as low as $28,814. Where on earth do you live that they're going for $60K? Are those US dollars?

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

yes

no, any dealer in the states who can push a $60k tribeca out of the door would get a standing ovation from headquarters. you just can not do it

You can't register a car you've bough across the border in canada?

there is nothing inherently bad about vw. and vws use different awds in different models with touareg being probably the most electronically stuffed, and therefore complex. But I think it maps into Q7, not Q5.

Gives you an idea why you need an LSD at least on the rear axle, does not it?

Well, for $30k+ you got to start thinking beyond fuel economy

Yep, in the US tribeca is competitively priced, I might even venture a guess it's a very good value being discounted below $30k in SF, if you ever go to sierra nevada in winter that is (given the right tires icy bay bridge may do also)

yep, I'm residing in urop, so even with 20% VAT or what have you I still having difficulty seeing how they can get away with almost doubling the price. With an 8 pot engine maybe, but $60k for a 6 pot car, I'd pass.

divide 1799000 by exchange rate of 30 and you'd get 59966 US dollars for UJ trim of (2012 year model!!!)

Reply to
AD

Do even the fully-loaded levels of the Tribeca approach $60K? The base trim level is already pretty heavily loaded. My 2008 base Tribeca, that I bought in 2012, for only $19K, looks like there's almost nothing that it doesn't have. It has the moonroof, the MP3-playing CD, etc., etc. The only thing that is missing that I can think of is the in-dash GPS satnav, and I much prefer my TomTom to an in-dash. Besides, I don't think the 2008 model had the satnav option available anyways. Also some of the newer ones have a 7-seat option, which might be a little useful in some cases. But will all of this push the price up over by another $20K? I doubt it.

Actually for me, "across the border" is the USA, since I'm in Canada.

But what I'm concerned about is that they use the hallowed "Quattro" name on these rebadged VW's. To me, Quattro implies the amazing fully mechanical Torsen locking diffs, among other things. And I doubt these AWD systems have anything like Torsens in them. If they had the Torsens, then they wouldn't have any trouble passing these simple tests.

So is the price of Tribeca $32K or $60K in the USA? What's the last word on this.

I think it's more likely they'll come up with a turbo H6 before going to an H8. Their existing turbo 2.5L H4 (in the STI) puts out over 300HP, so a turbo 3.6L H6, should be good for at least 400HP (350HP if they want to be conservative), I'd say.

I'm actually interested in seeing a diesel come to North America. They sell them in Europe already.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

what's what I've meant can't you buy a car for less in the states and subsequently register it in canada?

There is nothing in the torsen that specifically allows to route power to a single wheel. You can NOT have an open rear differential and pass these 2 rollers in front one in the rear tests. You either have to break one of the rear wheels or have an honest lsd.

that would be very useful in canada winters I'm sure

Reply to
AD

Well, there are a few obstacles in the way. One of them is that there are some minor differences between Canadian and US models of cars. For example, the bumpers on US cars are 2.5mph, whereas the Canadian ones are 5mph. Canadian cars have daylight running lights. There may be other things, which the car companies then use to justify a higher selling price!

But in this case, it looked like for a time that the Canadian prices were actually cheaper, when you revealed that a Tribeca would cost you $60K where you lived, whereas other suggested new selling prices were in the $38K range. But others have revealed that they can get a Tribeca for less where they live.

No, but the Torsen, like any other LSD, does allow half the power to get routed to a while with grip.

Diesels are actually harder to start in the cold, sometimes. I'm mainly just thinking of the overall fuel economy, winter, summer, fall, whatever.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

when it freezes in the fuel lines you are not going anywhere and, thusly, immediately start saving on fuel :^)

Reply to
isquat

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com:

Yet diesel-powered automobiles are popular in Europe, including northern Europe. How do they get by?

Reply to
Davoud

Like gasoline, there must be a special formulation of diesel that they sell in the winter that doesn't freeze over.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

arctic diesel fuel freezes at -33C canada nothern provinces (esp inland) are likely to see lower temps than that. And, besides euro refineries are setup for

50/50 gas/diesel mix whereas those in the us (and I presume in canada too) are setup for 75/25

around here despite the 50/50 split the diesel is (marginally) more expensive than premium gas. And more than marginally for "arctic" diesel in winter. As you can imagine pilferage by employees from their employer's diesel stock is a popular national sport

(I guess that's the primary reason why penny pinchers buy diesels in the first place).

And then there is a maintenance. Get a diesel powered car relatively new put tons of miles on it roll back odometer and dump the heavily milked cow on an unsuspecting idiot who THINKS he can afford the upkeep of that pile of [very] used trash that typically cost more to overhaul due to the complexity of the modern diesel engines. (we have a runner up for a most popular sport around here -> lets call it "find a sucker")

On the positive note, people who drive a lot of miles have a bit wider selection of passenger diesels than in the us of a.

Reply to
isquat