H6 engine v. H4 in Subaru Outback wagon

My 2000 OBW H4 also has this tendency. It got better when they tightened the windows down, but it looks like the windows have become loosened up again, and it's back.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

My vehicle's windows are still very quiet at highway speeds--I'll count myself lucky! I'm able to garage my vehicle if that makes any difference.

Since replacing those horrible Dunlop Sport A2 tire, I can hear a bit from the roof rack in terms of wind noise.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I find if the rubber cargo mat slides back towards the tailgate, I get the same problem. If I pull the mat all the way till it's touching the seatbacks, the problem goes away (until it creeps back again).

I THINK I've read somewhere that adjusting the outside mirror can ocassionally help. And I got my car from the dealer with the front roofrack crossbar installed backwards- it should be fat side to the front- and that helped cut down on the noise. But unfortunately, it didn't go away completely.

Dukephoto '91 vdc

82,000 miles
Reply to
MDCORE

I seem to have higher mileage than most respondees at 82,000 miles in 32 months.

I've had the standard recalls (rear suspension undercoating, parking prawl, cruise control cable).

The thermostat went at around 50,000 miles. Fixed under extended warranty.

The steering is feeling some vibration (kind of like a bucking) at slow speeds at close to being locked to the end (but NOT all the way to the lock point). Maybe power steering pump. Will be bringing it in soon, if only to document the problem.

The Macintosh head (the original, non CD-changer unit), is giving me intermitent error messages- an ER-3, or an ER-6 comes up on the LCD, and it just doesn't play. If I eject a half or dozen times or so it will eventually play. But this only happens once a week or so. I contacted Macintosh, and they said the codes indicate transport problems. I have to take it to Subaru, they pull the unit and sent it to Mac. They either repair or replace it and send it back. Supposedly takes about 10 days total. Of course, since the problem is intermitent, it probably won't happen when I take it in for the dealer to check out. I took pictures of the error message on the display so they can't say it doesn't happen.

An occasional VDC and ABS light that stayed on after start-up. Turning off the car and restarting would clear them. Only has happened half a dozen times.

Not so bad so far. I'm not sure I'll make out on the warranty- the stereo repair has to be a couple hundred dollars (labor and repair), and the thermostat saved me a hundred some-odd bucks. If it is the power steering pump, I think I will have made out. Not that I'm hoping that it's the pump.

All in all it's been a great car, and I don't see why it made the list. I'm a member of several VDC oriented groups, and have seen very few posts about engine problems.I obviously spend alot of time in the car, and find it extremely comfortable, responsive, great sound system (which makes road noise superflous), and great engine!

I'm a long time subsciber to CR- although I obviously missed the avoid rating when I posted earlier to this thread- but I would like to see what the complaints were that led to the rating.

Dukephoto

Reply to
MDCORE