hankook tires?

I've decided to get real snow tires for my 2000 Outback wagon. A local guy sells Blizzaks etc. but says Hankook W400s last longer and perform almost as well. Tirecraft (Canada) considers them a "winter best buy", and they seem to sell well in Germany. Personal opinions? Also if you own them, what did you pay?

Thanks ... swb

Reply to
Scott Brim

I have never tried their winter tires but the gravel tires were fantastic! TG

Reply to
TG

FWIW, "Hankook" means "Korea" in the Korean language.

Reply to
Charles Gillen

No, hankook (correctly pronounced HANGOOK, but GOOK is derogatory so they changed it to KOOK) means KOREAN in Korean. Hangul means Korea.

Reply to
JaySee

No, the kook/gook is from the Chinese root-word meaning "country," so hankook/hangook properly means "country of the Han people."

Hangul is the name of the Korean alphabet.

My credentials for making these statements: I attended Seoul's Yonsei University Korean-language school.

Reply to
Charles Gillen

If you're really into _winter tires_ d o n o t t o u c h H a n k o o k c r a p . If winter traction tires are what you're looking for, and Bridgestone sounds good for you, get them. If you need real winter tires and your state law permits spikes, get something with those and you get some justice for your great car. Dealers with "value" tires often tell tales of great durability of their cheaper tires (tires with better profit). My best hamcooked set of tires lasted almost 10K miles.

Me

Reply to
Wheee

I use Artic Alpins on my 2000 Outback. They are very good on slippery surfaces, not so good on deep snow. Firestone Winterfire snow tires, which I have also used on a different car, are very good in deep snow, not so good on ice, but a great value.

Reply to
JDC

umm, whatever.

i've got a set with over 15,000 miles on them at this moment. they have very little wear at this point. they should be good for at least another

15,000 miles. also, while not as good as blizzaks in the snow, they are better in greasy mud slicked gravel roads. and for the cost, you can buy nearly two complete sets of hankooks for each set of blizzaks. it comes down to driving habits and local conditions, i guess.

taw

Reply to
Tim