Hard braking- Flat battery

Hi all,

My 10 yr year old Subaru Liberty had a flat battery and died on me whilst trying to start ignition (problem diagnosed as jumper leads worked magic) I tried a rolling start, I have no idea where this came from somehow I thought it would work. But it didnt and my brake pedals felt really heavy. Like it was really resistant to being stepped upon. Can anybody shed some light as to why this happens? And is it safe to drive it out to the mechanics?

Thank you all for your helpful input.

Cheers!

Hmmm, Electronic fuel injected cars can't be rolling started. This is no brainer. It can't generate spark like ancient coil/point ignition. Also if engine is not running, you don't have master cylinder vaccuum boost(power brake). Obviously you are too young to remember old brakes without power boost?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yea, I forgot to mention I am a 19 yr old student who doesnt know a thing =X Sorry! And thanks for your help too =)

I question the link between EFI and roll starting. I've had no trouble starting my 2004 WRX from a roll. Of course, the brake issue holds true. No power - no power brakes, or steering. I remember driving a '65 Catalina (421 tri-power 2+2) that came from the Pontiac factory with no power assisted anything. What a monster to steer, but a thrill to drive. Could have had that car for $500. Neither I nor the owner could handle the 7-8 mpg, but what an investment that could have been.

Reply to
suburboturbo

It may depend on how dead/'flat' the battery is and if there's still pressure in the fule rails.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan