Hard starting Outback

My Outback is "hard starting", meaning that it revs and revs and revs (whatever its doing) for up to 20 seconds before starting. This only sometimes occurs and I have not been able to determine a pattern. I recently replaced the fuel filter and had thought that perhaps the clamps were too loose, causing the fuel system to bleed pressure. However, yesterday I tightened the clamps and thought the problem was solved, however I just now had the hard start again (after 3 hours idle).

Another note was that I was in for a 60k service at the dealer last week as well. The only related work they did was to reprogram the computer for a recall. (I replaced plugs and wires at 40k miles).

Should I consider further tightening of the fuel hose clamps? Could I have somehow made a hole in the fuel lines when I was changing the fuel filter? Thoughts?

Reply to
Matt Fischer

If you don't see or smell fuel leaking when the engine is running the clamps are tight enough. The fuel system runs at about 40 psi so you would know if there were any leaks. It is possible that there is a problem with the fuel pump or pressure regulator, also there could be an injector that is sticking open. Once the engine finally starts, does it then run normally or does it stumble and run roughly for a few seconds? Also, if you turn the key to the run position before cranking you should hear the pump running briefly to build pressure. To help in troubleshooting this and to determine if it's really a fuel system issue, a fuel pressure gauge should be connected and then observed while attempting to start the engine. If it isn't building pressure normally the readings will show this.

Reply to
mulder

It's not that.

I'd try some fuel drying additive to the gas.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I chose the easy option, which was to do nothing. It's been fine for about a week now and so I suspect that your idea was correct.

Reply to
Matt Fischer