hatch latch locks unpredictably

The latch on our 99 Legacy OBW is capricious, driving me nuts. Sometimes it unlatches fine, other times it remains locked, even when all the other doors are unlocked. We can't figure out why it's locking or not unlocking as nothing seems to matter. Using the key doesn't matter. Locking/unlocking from the inside doesn't matter, and using the Subaru security keyfob doesn't have an effect. Sometimes it miraculously allows itself to be opened, other times it's locked for good (like now, just when I needed to get the weedwhacker back there).

What's going on here, and how can we control it?

Reply to
KLS

When it fails, can you confirm you hear the solenoid hum or click? If not, there's an intermittent electrical problem. If you always hear the actuator - mechanical problem. Also, try pushing in on the hatch and retrying.

I once had similar problems with a Dodge Vista Wagon. Though it would occasionally not lock. I took the inside panel off to see how the mechanismn operated. I lubricated all the moving parts. No help. Then I made an adjustment to make the linkages longer/tighter. It was worse! Then I saw that the force was being 'stored' in the linkage rods and when the solenoid powered down, the lock was 'springing back' unlocking the hatch! I readjusted eevrything more loosely and never had a problem.

If some lubrication doesn't help. Someone will have to examine the mechanism.

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I had the same problem on our '99 OBW. I finally just sprayed a bunch of WD-40 on the latch release and all was well. In my case the latch release was very rusted.

Reply to
Ed

Just a scientific wild-assed guess...

The hatch latch is known to need lubrication after a few years. The remote latch solenoid drives the same mechanism as the manual handle, and that's known to stick.

Pull the trim off and clean all the lock/latch levers/pins/rods etc with something like WD40, but don't consider WD40 as a lubricant for this. Use white lithium grease. This should cure the problems, it did on my

2000 OBW.
Reply to
nobody >

It's a well-known problem with old Outbacks: corrosion in the latching mechanism.

My neighbor seems to be able to solve the problem for a year or so on his 1998 OB simply by spraying the outside under the latch handle with WD-40. That doesn't work on my 1999 OB, and I have to yank off the interior upholstery and spray the inside mechanism.

The advice to use white lithium grease would work except for the fact that the guts of the latch mechanism are not accessible to fingers. I suppose one could disassemble it first, but that's a lot of work.

I just went through this last week using a spray form of Teflon lubricant, or PTFE (I think). It may last longer than a year.

Ben

Reply to
Uncle Ben

Thanks to you and other responders. We'll try the white lithium grease trick this weekend as I don't think the electronics are shot.

Reply to
KLS

I have Liquid Wrench I may try on the outside under the latch handle, and I have a nice silicone spray (where is that can?) I'll try inside on the spots I can't reach with the grease.

Reply to
KLS

One of my motorcyclist friends said there's a fairly new aerosol can chain lube that ends up sorta like beeswax when it "dries". And obviously a spray spoutnozzle.... I'll have to check this out as there are 4 more latches left on my '00 OBW and all 5 latches on the wife's '97 OBS yet to go.

Reply to
nobody >

Works for me too on my '97 Brighton Wagon.

Reply to
kaplan3jiim