Headlight Bulb Changing

How do I change a headlight bulb in my 92 Subaru Legacy?

Reply to
lola2334

Assuming that your headlight setup is the same as my old '91 was, it's pretty straightforward. NEVER touch any of the glass on the replacement bulb. Only handle the metal rear part.

At the rear centre of the headlight you'll find a round black rubber cap with the cable connector plug in the middle. Hold the connector firmly on both sides and carefully remove it. It pulls back but you'll probably have to wriggle it side to side too. Be gentle!

Remove the rubber boot - it just peels off.

Now you should see a wire clip with two little 'ears' sticking up at the back of the light. Squeeze the ears together, pull clip back and lower it. It's got a hinge at the bottom.

Hint - check how the little lugs on the bulb are aligned because the new one will only fit in the same one way.

Pull the bulb out and put it out of your way. Pick up the new bulb without touching the glass anywhere. (Play safe and use a tissue or a cotton glove if you like). Hold it by the the terminals that the elctrical connectors plug onto and put it into the h/light shell.

Hold the back of the bulb in place with your finger. Lift the spring clip back up, squeeze the little ears together, push it back ito place and release the ears.

Put the rubber cover back on. The big rubber tag points straight up.

Push the connector back on firmly and make sure it's seated properly.

Test if your lights now work on dip & main beam.

Pack up, get rid of the old bulb and give yourself a pat on the back! Cheers

Reply to
hippo