headlight failure on s92 legacy

Took the old legacy, a 91 1.8l out last night and realised that I only had side lights, no dips or main beam. The relays in the fusebox behind the battery operate when the switch is operated from dips to main beam, but the lights don't come on. There appears to be 12 volts at this fuse box, and the

20A fuse in this box is good. The fuses in the passenger footwell are good as well. There also appears to be a good circuit between the headlight plugs and Earth. I have now used up my electrical knowledge, anyone got any ideas, or experience of this problem?

PS how difficult is the clutch to change in this car, I have changed a few engines and clutches in my time but have never had to do the subaru as it has always been horribly reliable!

Reply to
mathew

use a volt meter to verify +12v at both ends of headlight fuses (they should have access hole in the fuses or fuse link holders)

disconnect the battery, remove the bolt(s) mounting the underhood fuse/relay /fusible link box, examine underside of fuse panel for salt or acid damage.

wiggle all the wires leading in. are any of them broken? (tug)

compared to most of the vehicles I've worked on, Subaru engine removal, clutch replacement, engine re-install is a breeze. most of the work is clearing the engine of plumbing, removing starter, and unhooking exhaust.

zero

Reply to
zeromedic