help.

I just bought a 1990 Subaru Legacy manual transmission from a friend who moved out of country. He just left it for me to pick up. The problem is, I can't figure out how to get this car to move. The engine starts great, there is gas and oil and everything in it. I take off the e-brake and put the car into gear, but it won't move at all. It seems like there is another brake or something that I'm not releasing, but I'm not sure what it is... The clutch goes in and out fine -- I think that the car is fine, It's just that I'm an idiot and there is some feature that I'm not aware of. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Thanks.

Reply to
thecrew42

FWD or AWD? If FWD check the front CV axles. Car will not move if one is missing or broken. Don't know how long the car has sat but maybe the brakes are frozen.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

Good post.

Um, does the car stall or do you smell burning clutch material?

(Maybe get the car up on stands and spin the wheels - John's frozen brake idea seems possible, even rusted parking brake cable - I THINK the

90s may have had the seperate parking brake on the back of the rotor - anyone?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Carl, E-brake is in the rear. John

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

Actually, Subaru has attached the e-brake to the front disks in the past, and not the goofy drum-disk combo either. The e-brake cable operated the disk calipers so could be on the front. Not sure the models and years with this feature, but I found it useful on a few occasions. '90 sounds about the right period.

The OP mentioned it's a manual so anybody have knowledge of the hill-holder system? What sort of failure modes might it exhibit?

~Brian

Reply to
strchild

"strchild" Sep 4, 2007 at 09:56 PM

Hmm.. my first thought was hill holder too, but the brake suggestions have reminded me of a range of makes that have been immobilised by rusted/seized brakes over the years. Might be worth towing it a metre or so with a solid bar and seeing if all the wheels turn in neutral or not - 'cos if you use a rope and the brakes don't work ..... :-(

More information at

-- Message posted using

information at

hippo

If it has a clutch, does the engine drag down or halt if you let out the clutch but the car doesn't move? If not, the clutch isn't engaging.

Reply to
Vanguard

What do you mean the car does not move?

If you release the clutch when in gear do you feel the engine being loaded? As if brakes applied?

Or is it that the car does not roll and then you do not release the clutch?

When the hill holder cable is out of calibration, or when it is defective, it can keep the brakes applied.

As others say, the brakes could be seized. Try going forward and then backwards repeatedly to see if the brakes release.

Good luck!

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
AS

Is the car AWD, does it have dual range transmission? Check dual range lever all the way down or up (Low Range)!

Reply to
PayPal Dude

"PayPal Dude" Sep 5, 2007 at 05:22 PM

releasing,

Far out I am getting old! Only 3 yrs since I had a dual range mnl and I forgot that one. Good point too, 'cos anywhere else it's in neutral!

*Make sure* you have the clutch in though or you may get one hell of a crunch. Also it sometimes needs a pretty firm shove to engage hi or lo if it's been sitting or the selector's got full of dust/bugs/snack wrappers. Cheers

-- Message posted using

information at

hippo

The front-mounted E-brake was a feature used in the 80s on the GL/XT/XT6 models. Only Subaru model in the 90s to use it was the Loyale which was nothing more then a renamed GL.

Totally overlooked the HH feature which I now bet is the problem. Jack the car up and if the RF and LR wheels can not be rotated it means the hill holder is engaged.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

PayPal Dude is the bom!