Help: How to turn off electric door locks?

On two occasions my OBW has been broken into by someone simply sliding a coat hanger between the window glass and the door frame and hitting the power lock unlock button. I installed a Subaru alarm this weekend (see separate post), but have been thinking about some way to easily and temporarily disconnect the power locking switches... NOT the power locking mechanism (accessed through the keyfob remote). In essence, I'd like to put a small switch inline somehow between the driver's and passenger's door switches and whatever relay (I imagine) controls the locking mechanism. This would allow me to turn off the electric door locking buttons when I'm parked somewhere questionable. I know I could just pull the fuse, but that isn't easy and quick, and will shut off remote locking, too.

So, a few questions:

  1. Is it possible to turn off central locking without affecting the remote locking?
  2. Any idea where the wiring/relay is for this?

I've ordered a Haynes book to get some insight into wiring and whatnot, but don't yet have it.

Reply to
Brian Wasson

Tony Hwang

what if you got a really dark tint on your windows?

Reply to
John

Geez you guys are lucky - that type of break in doesn't occur in Sydney, Australia - its quicker (and easier) for the thieves to smash a window..... usually damage done far exceeds goods stolen.

My advice, simply make sure car is empty - and open glove box, ash tray etc. Alarms don't work - in Australia, don't even get a discount on insurance for having one, as everyone just ignores them.

In Montreal, you'll even see signs in the windows - saying 'no radio'

Reply to
Jiz

Hi Brian!

I have an Impreza wiring diagram available at file is: wiringdiagram.pdf., There is some nfo about the security system in the ../wrx_mods directory as well. I don't know how applicable this will be to your OBW, but I'd bet they are at least similar. Whatever, you should be able to disable the lock switch on the door(s) by removing the connector at the switch. This may or may not mess with the keyless entry, but it's easy enough to be worth a try. Good luck, let us know what you find.

ByeBye! S.

window.....

snip

As Jiz points out the damage caused by phsically breaking something to get in may offset the benefits. Driving without a window is a PITA.

On a side note, a friend had their car broken in twice. First time was an amatuer -damaged window, dash and stole a few tapes as they couldn't get the radio out. Second was a pro -stole the radio, no damage and locked the car afterwards.

F.plant

Reply to
F. Plant